Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Health
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

Hair and Skincare

My brand is "anything as long as I'm clean and smell nice" XD

Really I don't have any specific brand, I just don't like anything that smells too sweet, it makes me nauseous, such as vanilla scented stuff. 

My favorite seems to be Lavender scented stuff.

I dyed my hair once, black, despite my parents being totally contrary and even my hairdersser, then they said I looked good lol.

I also don't use conditioners as they make my hair all greasy, and they're greasy enough by their own.

I use a lot of stuff from lush as it's good on my dry skin and doesn't make my eczema flare up.

showerwise - I used to love flying fox shower gel which was honey jasmine.  But its been discontinued so now I use honey I washed the kids soap. I love the smell of vanilla and honey, (sorry saki :) ) and jasmine has grown on me as I've gotten older.

Moisturiser - dream cream alternated with steroid cream and mizon snail extract cream. Palmers cocoa body oil.

shampoo - Cynthia Sylvia stout shampoo and jasmine and henna fluff ease.

make up - that might be a whole thread in itself ;) 

Edited by Lady Mechanika
changes (see edit history)
  • Administrator

I use Dermaveen (dermatologist recommended) for skin stuff. Most of the big name brands make me itchy. Downside is it's bloody expensive : (

Goat milk soap is awesome too when I run out of Dermaveen stuff.

I've been using these awesome products from : "the brand mom thinks is best." Shampoos to creams to nice smelling stuff I don't even know the name of.

And makeup? Nah. Flavoured lip balms are awesome though, but they don't count in make up, do they?

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to only use products made of natural substances, thanks to my mother always buying such products for me. 

Most of my shampoos, conditioners, and even face cleansers contain tea tree oil. It has great cleansing properties - you should look for a product with that ingredient and try it!

As for makeup, I usually only do light-coloured lipstick or EOS lipbalm, and the occasional eyebrow shaping. 

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

For shampoo and conditioner, I only use John Freida stuff. Everything else just makes me itchy so I really have no choice but to fork out some extra dollars.

What about perfumes? What are your favourites? Do you like the ones made by singers (Katy Perry, Beyonce etc) or other big name brands?

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2016 at 11:51 AM, EricLightscythe said:

My deo (Nivea, Fresh Ocean) smells good initially but after a while smells like arse. Never buying again. 

Why do you even call it deo?  -____-

Should've seen this before. Simply wasted 150 bucks on that thing. The white isn't that good either. 

On 11/28/2016 at 2:23 PM, Soumita said:

Why do you even call it deo?  -____-

Should've seen this before. Simply wasted 150 bucks on that thing. The white isn't that good either. 

You got the same thing? D: RIP. 

A waste of 150 bucks, especially when you're perpetually broke in college D: 

• 1 month later...

I use any shampoo and conditioner. I don't really care for the brand, and it always differentiates.

I also don't like makeup. It feels weird, and I feel like touching my skin if I do. I even refrain from using lip balm unless my lips are chapped. Otherwise I end up licking my lips, lol. 

For my hair, I choose Hair and Shoulders, or Clear menthol. Anything with menthol is perfect for my hair, never tried out any moisturizers. I heard that there is already some in Head and Shoulders. 

For my skin, I use soap. Sounds plain and cheap, but it thankfully works. When I need it the most (And believe me, I do not need it a lot) i apply some mens face cream :P 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a hand exfoliating mask.  Makes all the dry skin just peel off in a gross but completely fascinating way.  I've used the foot one before (footner dupe) and it was amazing but no way am I getting my feet out for public viewing in this weather.

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

I ended up changing brands for my shampoo and conditioner. The cheaper brands (pantene, loreal etc) seem to make my head really itchy so now I'm using coconut stuff. It's amazing. My hair doesn't fall out anymore and my head doesn't itch. God, this stuff is amazing. I'm looking for more extra hair care stuff right now.

https://www.priceline.com.au/ogx-shampoo-nourishing-coconut-milk-385-ml

I've also started using Aveeno for skin care though I also use Dermatend depending on which one is cheaper. I've got sensitive skin so I've got to use the 'dermatologist recommended' ones which is usually more costly sadly. The problem? You've got to buy them in sets and I must have them all.

https://www.priceline.com.au/brand/aveeno/aveeno-daily-moisturising-lotion-1-l

Whatever the wife buys....that's what I use.  I stay away from conditioners....just the basic shampoo for me.

Bar soaps, I prefer irish spring, but the wife likes Ivory.  We switch back and forth quite often.

I love my previous comment on this thread lul. But glitter is actually really annoying if you put too much in your hair at once, so I tend to use shampoo and conditioner from Garnier. It works fairly well and leaves a nice, subtle smell. For skincare products, I like Wilko's own brand (especially the coconut. god I love coconut) since it's less than £1 and it smells great. However if I go into Primark, their 'Fruity Shower Gel' seems to be better quality, albeit a little bit more expensive than Wilko (you can guess what flavour :P). I also absolutely love using Radox a couple nights a week - always smells amazing and gives you a great bubble bath. My favourite Radox muscle soak is coconut & milk (ofc) but I've also used lavender & waterlilly, and lately I'm onto sage & sea minerals. For bar soaps and deodorant I tend to stick to Dove.

I've never dyed my hair due to most schools in the UK not allowing anything other than "natural hair colours" though I'm hoping to dye it in the next couple years. Any suggestions on brands?