Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • On-Topic
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

The Work Thread

AquilaTempestas

Today at the nursery the fire alarm was tested near the end of nap time when only 3 of the 7 were asleep. I've never seen a two year old move so fast in my life.  From fast asleep to bolt upright in about three seconds.  

They were all completely terrified and I spent ten minutes attempting to console one of them and five minutes trying to detach them.  She calmed down after snack  

Edited by Evie Frye (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrator

I currently work in hospitality and act as the barista and shift supervisor on weekends. It's not the world's greatest jobs by any means, but it's just a casual job to earn a bit of cash on the side. I also work in events such as doing stuff for sporting and cultural events, but that's just shift based too. 

I have heaps of stories on dealing on with the public.

• 4 months later...

Almost everyone of us here on TAZland is employed one way or another. This thread is about your job - talk about your job, your experience, what is your current position in your job, how long have you been occupied in this field? What is the main objective of your job (what is it about?)Are you considering to change your field? How is your boss? How are your colleagues? Here we can also recommend each other jobs as well, which person deserves what job according to you, state it here ^^

Going to start my first job in January as a language tutor in a school near me... Got to have my first tour of the place and meeting with my colleagues today… They seemed really nice, and were excited to have me. I'm looking forward to starting it in January, and seeing how it goes.

• Administrator

I sadly work in a crap casual job in hospitality. I'm desperately trying to get out before the place gets shut down because our boss is a cheat. Hopefully, after the New Year, I can move on to bigger and better things.

1 hour ago, AquilaTempestas said:

I sadly work in a crap casual job in hospitality. I'm desperately trying to get out before the place gets shut down because our boss is a cheat. Hopefully, after the New Year, I can move on to bigger and better things.

:o

Good luck! 

16 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Yikes, that's awful... Good luck with getting out of there…

15 hours ago, Golden Doe said:

I am still a student *sniff sniff* 

Nonetheless, I wanna be a chemical engineer.

Interesting! How far are when the program, and what type of job are you hoping to get? I'm just curious because there's some engineers in my family, and a lot of people who have tried or want to be one.

I'm juggling three things right now. ^_^"

Full-time student, part-time waitress (it pays the bills), and working on building a reader base for original fiction, as I'd like to one day be a full-time author. As that is a slow burn, though, I'm becoming a physical therapist. Business would drive me insane with my sole purpose for coming to work being to further someone else's agenda, honestly. I'd rather help people recover and get on with their lives.

3 hours ago, onewiththewheels said:

Good luck with all that! What branch of physical therapy do you want to study?

I want to specialize in neuro, specifically, and possibly go into either pediatrics or geriatrics in the sub-branches of neuro. 

• 3 months later...

I am a manager is a transportation/logistics terminal.  I'm responsible for 50 drivers who deliver pharmaceutical products, bank proof work, tires, general merchandising products and promotional materials to various locations within the metro area.  The majority of the drivers that work for me deliver the pharmaceutical products to various hospitals, pharmacies and depots.

I'm responsible for their schedules and payrolls, as well as filling out reports and maintaining communications with the company's that we provide service for.

Once in a while, I get a free moment...like now for instance....

• 1 month later...

I am a SAHM mom now, and no one wants to hear about that, amirite? But, before that, I was a lab technician, an attorney, a science teacher, and a network security manager for a large organization. I have a couple of stories. 

1. My first case as a baby lawyer straight out of school was in a tiny little town. I got sent over by my firm with very little knowledge of the case. My first job was to get a delay, and I wrote the brief and handed it over. The judge called me a "slick lawyer" from the big city, and literally tore my brief up and threw it away. He was already mad at my firm for delaying so much, and that's the part of the job no one tells you about. Being an attorney (on the business side) is just about trying to make the other side so upset they just give up and quit. 

2. Middle school science teachers in the US also teach what laughably passes as sex ed here. I was trying to explain the difference between love and infatuation to my 7th graders. One of the kids raised his hand and said "i know. If you get infatuated, no one's going to want to have sex with you anyway."  I'm sorry, what? Turns out, he thought "infatuated" meant gaining weight. And he's wrong about that anyway, by the way. 

• 6 months later...

Hmmm... My jobs are not very interesting, but over the years, my main thing was writing and project management. I was propelled into the latter without choice. Anyway, so I do have some PM skills which include a lot of planning and strategizing ways to increase brand exposure for our clients. It worked in the digital marketing niche for 5 years. It was nice working with clients who know what they want, but it was an immense challenge when dealing with hard-head clients. They were awful and verbally abusive. Also, they were cheapskates. They wanted more bang for their minimum buck. Pathetic.

Nowadays, I'm a writer for a game company. I write game scripts and find new activities for players. I did have another writing gig, but I bombed that one because it drove me to complete insanity and 6 months mental breakdown. So, yeah. Not my proudest and most professional moment, but it's gone. 

Nothing exciting, I know. At least I'm happy and it pays well, so I guess there's something good about it.

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.