Design Your Universe

Does fanfiction die as you get older?

• Board Moderator

As a writer who got her start from fanfiction, writing fanfiction brought me great joy, allowing me to explore unique ideas which I’ve never before considered. I’ve written fanfiction for years and as years go by, age does its thing and the passion for writing wanes when your daily life is mundane or plain unkind.

I find myself not writing for months even years at a time leaving stories unfinished. Sometimes, the brain kind of wants to write but the heart doesn’t. Have you experienced such feelings and possibly, doubt?

What are your thoughts on the topic? Agree or disagree?

I've definitely been less interested in writing fanfiction over the years, especially as I worked more and more on my original stuff. It just always took a backseat to my original stuff, even if the fanfiction starred OCs. I've been reading it less too but I've been reading less of everything, basically. 

I have been trying to continue working on my Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fanfic now and then, though. Aiming to get a chapter out every month or so, but my original stuff still takes priority. Difference with my Mystery Dungeon fic, is that the Mystery Dungeon community do read and review a lot, so having that encouragement tells me 'I should try to get this working, people are liking it'. Fanfiction is usually published online bit by bit, whilst my original stuff I don't really do that anymore because I constantly restart and rework it. There's more pressure with writing fanfiction, in that way. 

• Board Moderator

As for myself, I know I’ve been disinterested in writing fanfiction in the last few years but it was only last year that I realized I fell out of love with it. I have no intention of writing more of it or even my original stuff. It’s strange; I used to love reading and writing it but with additional life stressors, it saps the energy to plan and write stories. All my audiences are gone.

Worst of all, I have nothing left to tell. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Nirianne said:

As for myself, I know I’ve been disinterested in writing fanfiction in the last few years but it was only last year that I realized I fell out of love with it. I have no intention of writing more of it or even my original stuff. It’s strange; I used to love reading and writing it but with additional life stressors, it saps the energy to plan and write stories. All my audiences are gone.

Worst of all, I have nothing left to tell. 

I also think you've just moved on in life - you've found other people to fill in that void.

I don't really read fanfiction anymore and haven't in years due to being super disappointed with the subpar quality of stories floating around my fandoms. It also didn't help most of my audience disappeared and moved on as well. I'll still try and read works done by our members though. 

Do I still like writing? Of course. Will I continue to write? Yes, but nothing major - maybe just a short story here and there whenever the mood inspires. These days I prefer to simply edit old stories and improve them - this keeps my writing skills 'fresh'. I have written most of the things I want to write, but even if I did write something new, I'd be reusing old ideas and reworking them a little. So I just fix up old stories. As for original works... most of my 'epic stories' are basically original ideas anyway. If I changed the character names, it'd be 'original'. 

Now that I work full-time, I'd rather 'shut down and play video games' after work than use more energy writing stories. I don't know how people can find the energy to write after a long day of work, but perhaps I was never truly a writer. Surrounding myself with people who did have all this insane energy and motivation to write made me less interested in writing and I think that was the final nail in the coffin for me. I've never really recovered from all that stress.