Design Your Universe

2023 Plans

• Administrator

As always, I like to turn the board off for around 24 hours whilst I do updates. Normally this happens on the last day of the year but I’m flying out of the country on the 1st of January so board will be down earlier and down for a bit longer.

So looking at downtime to begin on the 28th of December and lasting to whenever I wake up on the 1st of January 2023.

Anyways, our board has already undergone a massive change turning from a focused writing board into a more music focused one but that hasn’t really worked out the way I imagined it to go.

What would you like to see? 

Do we need new member roles?

How do we engage the community more?

Give me ideas folks so I can plan in advance. I’m thinking of bringing back monthly reviews and such. 

@Board Moderator  @Discord Moderator @Gold Member  @Platinum Member @Silver Member  @Bronze Member

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So - I've been paying a fair bit to recent activity on the forums for the past few months and it's gotten a lot worse since the mid year changes were made.

The music additions haven't really paid off which means I'm going to revert some changes and go back to a more writing focus we had previously.

Some general notes:

• Re-create a lot of the old writing threads. People have come and go and ideas have changed a lot overtime. So new writing threads with more focused discussions that hopefully require a bit more thought to generate more discussion
  • More focus on video gaming as well since a lot of us like to do that
  • Encouraging feedback for fellow writers. I'm going to get the old writing archive site up and running so we can use that to support each other
  • Making the music sections smaller and making the art area a bit more focused again
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, Dementor said:

Oh. I see. I'm here mostly because of music... Writing is a more private thing for me and my friend, and videogames aren't a huge part of my life anymore.

Music will still be here but just won’t be as spread out as it is now. It will be more condensed (like we don’t need so many places for musicians seeing as we don’t really have any active ones here).

A site to post the youtube videos of the games which have been recorded. Got plenty of games with me recorded on youtube and pretty certain I will add more new gameplays to youtube as time goes on.
Think it will be nice to have a site for each player to post their youtube videos of their gameplay records and pretty certain only a few will do so even if many can.

• Administrator
On 12/14/2022 at 8:24 PM, deviLz said:

A site to post the youtube videos of the games which have been recorded. Got plenty of games with me recorded on youtube and pretty certain I will add more new gameplays to youtube as time goes on.
Think it will be nice to have a site for each player to post their youtube videos of their gameplay records and pretty certain only a few will do so even if many can.

You can already create a thread under CONTENT CREATORS with your YouTube links

You can also to VIDEOS and link your YouTube clips there. https://designyouruniverse.net/index.php?/video/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

This is your last chance to pitch ideas. As I wrote on Discord...

Basically, Nirianne, Dementor and myself have been the big three contributors for the past year. Now, I want to keep this community running for as long as I'm able too, but if only three people are making an effort and taking time out of their busy lives to post, then what's the point in running this forum and paying for it? 

I know people are busy and that people do have other priorities in life, and that's totally fine. I'm a full-time highschool teacher with a full teaching load, but I still make time for this place when I can - even if it's just a post or two a day. Every post matters. We do have a variety of topics here and I'm sure you can find something to commit too. Right now we're sinking to the bottom of the ocean and we're struggling to get back to the surface. But we can change that! I'm trying to commit at least 10 posts at minimum per week. Your goal might be 1 post a day. Maybe 10 a month. Whatever works for you. 

Again, I don't want to make it sound like I'm begging, but a community only survives if the members are actively participating. I know I'm partially to blame for a drastic drop in activity due to layout changes, but I want you to help shape the forum for 2023.

Please tell me what you want to see so the moderators and myself can do the planning.

• Do you want a writing focus again? Do you want a more art focus? Maybe more video gaming support?
  • What topics should go? What topics should stay? What do you want to see?
  • Should we have more reviewing and feedback support? More writing events? 
  • Do we need a Community Leader role again with the sole aim of keeping specific focus areas alive? Like Gaming Leader, Art Leader etc etc?

@Board Moderator  @Discord Moderator  @Gold Member  @Platinum Member @Silver Member  @Bronze Member