Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Graveyard
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

Amaranthe

• Administrator

So, not really a 'symphonic metal' band by definition, but strongly connected to the scene, particularly through Elize.

They're a weird combination of power metal, pop, electro and melodic death metal and somehow make it work.

Where are my Amaranthe fans at? @Nirianne

I'm here!!! :D I love Amaranthe!

My favorite album is The Nexus, closely followed by Manifest and Massive Addictive. I'm astounded by how they make this weird combo work :) Only Maximalism and Helix sort of disappointed me.

Also I need to say they're the nicest people. In 2013, when they came to Moscow for the first time, a group of fans including me came to meet them at the railway station where they came from St. Petersburg. They were visibly pleased and humbled by such a warm welcome. It was raining on that morning so I had a pleasant arm-in-arm walk with Elize under my umbrella from the train to their shuttle bus. ^_^ (well I suggested her to cover her from the rain and she took my arm in return, aww :) too bad no one took a photo!). When they came again next time the same year, we went to meet them again, this time my girlfriend joined us, and she presented Elize a handmade necklace that she made. It also was my birthday on that day, also I brought a big Swedish flag with me to the show, so after the show they took that flag from me and signed it, Jake E wrote "happy fuckin' birthday" on it :D also Morten gave me a Twix as a gift :D Also before that I found out that Henrik was playing Counter-Strike actively, and my GF is a skilled CS player, so we agreed with him to play some day, and we did it, he added us as friends in Steam!

• Administrator

Amaranthe is an odd one. I didn't care much for them at the start (Amaranthine was my first - I did like though). The Nexus and Massive Addictive didn't really do much for me either. Oddly, I actually liked Maximalism because Jake was hardly on it. Unfortunately, I just found Jake to be lacking vocally and Elize was the real highlight to me.

Then Jake got fired and this was the beginning of my Amaranthe addiction.

Nils Molin got picked up and all of a sudden... I became a super fan! He's the real highlight for me now haha and it ain't just because he can sing well. I loved Helix and Manifest albums. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Ahhh you have so many awesome stories!

I don't know, I like Jake's voice, and I absolutely LOVE his new band Cyhra. He alone does great job for three!!

And Maximalism... idk, I love Amaranthe for their balance of components. On Maximalism, I can't feel this balance, every song sounds like an excessive bend towards one style or another. And Helix just doesn't resonate with me.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dementor said:

I don't know, I like Jake's voice, and I absolutely LOVE his new band Cyhra. He alone does great job for three!!

Oh CyHra! Funnily, I didn't mind him there heh. He's also fine in guest vocalist spots.

8 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Yeah, I wonder too, now as Henrik left... :( He added his unique touch, with his harsh recitative, I wonder if the new vocalist will do something like this.

• Administrator
On 7/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, Dementor said:

Yeah, I wonder too, now as Henrik left... :( He added his unique touch, with his harsh recitative, I wonder if the new vocalist will do something like this.

Yeah, it will be interesting. Wonder who they will get?

I gotta say... this song was about the loss of Elize's grandmother... It's a bit odd seeing Nils and Elize acting like this haha. Thought they were gonna have a passionate make out session there

• Administrator

The sexual tension in this band. I mean, there have been some live performances too and it makes you think, 'just hook up already dammit'

Still, the song is supposed to be about the loss of her grandmother. Video clip makes it out to be some romance thing lol.

image.png

1 minute ago, AquilaTempestas said:

The sexual tension in this band. I mean, there have been some live performances too and it makes you think, 'just hook up already dammit'

Still, the song is supposed to be about the loss of her grandmother. Video clip makes it out to be some romance thing lol.

image.png

I didn't know about this song's background. Where is it explained? It always sounded like a romance to me.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dementor said:

I didn't know about this song's background. Where is it explained? It always sounded like a romance to me.

There was an interview sometime during the pandemic where Elize talks about how her grandmother died and this song was about it.

"I wanted to write a song for my grandmother witch turned out to be “Crystalline”"

SOURCe - https://www.pressreader.com/uk/metal-hammer-uk/20200723/285963224577701

Ah, maybe it was the initial idea, but turned into this result? 'Cause the second verse:

"I cannot wait, been long enough
Still burning for you
When will I be forever locked
Inside of your heart
I'm not afraid, have no regrets
I am prepared to dive
Into your world, where I belong
That is real and that is true"

Doesn't really sound like a song for passed grandmother to me.
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dementor said:

Ah, maybe it was the initial idea, but turned into this result? 'Cause the second verse:

"I cannot wait, been long enough
Still burning for you
When will I be forever locked
Inside of your heart
I'm not afraid, have no regrets
I am prepared to dive
Into your world, where I belong
That is real and that is true"

Doesn't really sound like a song for passed grandmother to me.

Yeah I think it's open to interpretation. I think ultimately it's about love for another person.

Good interview by the way. I like this part:

"We've learned not to try being someone you're not. We've been very experimental on the last two albums but now we feel like we have a style that's in our blood, so let's just use that and let go of everything else."

Explains why Manifest sounds more like first albums (which I like). Maximalism and Helix were experimental indeed.
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Dementor said:
Good interview by the way. I like this part:

"We've learned not to try being someone you're not. We've been very experimental on the last two albums but now we feel like we have a style that's in our blood, so let's just use that and let go of everything else."

Explains why Manifest sounds more like first albums (which I like). Maximalism and Helix were experimental indeed.

Oddly, I didn't mind Maximalism probably because it had very minimal Jake on it. Helix is experimental for sure and one song "Inferno" sounds a lot like "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran.

I remember there was this interview where Elize talks about changing up the vocal lines a bit too. 

She said she realized she was singing a lot on Helix. "I am a soprano and I like to sing high but that wasn't so suitable for Nils" haha.  They just assumed all the vocal lines (for Jake) would be suitable for Nils as well. I remember in another interview she sings a bit lower on Manifest to suit him better.

There was also another one where they had a clearer identity for Manifest. It's very much about finding yourself and that whole idea of empowerment. Also, a few political stuff do about the environment.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 10:51 AM, AquilaTempestas said:

Liking the new song! Fun video clip too! New album this year please? Probably October.

Yes, new song sounds great! Nice replacement for Henrik too.

• 2 months later...