Jump to content
Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Game-Specific
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet


Recommended Posts

So two days ago at the Pokemon Presents a new generation of Pokemon games was announced.

What are your thoughts so far? Like it, don't like it? Were you expecting it? Any speculations?

@onewiththewheels @Lightningblade49 @Hikari @Nocturna @Wizarmonfan @Exelior @Ace of Spies  @Nubushi

 

Link to comment

I'm obsessed with grass kitty. I've never seen a starter I've been so quickly attached to, barring maybe Fennekin.

I don't like how the players' faces look but I'll probably get used to it. 

 

And apparently we'll be able to get Hisuian mons in there, via Home at least. So if I can have Hisuian Zoroark and normal Zoroark together, that'd be bloody awesome. 

Link to comment

Starters are cute, but I'm completely against the grain when it comes to open world Pokemon games. (Personally I feel like none of this is their forte nor really fits with the gameplay of Pokemon anyway, and honestly, my dream would be a return to 2D (which GF are much better at programming and finalising) with more emphasis on writing better stories and characters to make those designs. The gameplay has always been fine, the only thing the games arguably need is a better way of scaling difficulty and to drop the generational gimmicks)

 

 But since we're down this road, the only thing I really have to judge this game on outside of those 3 designs is the graphics, and honestly? That trailer was kinda scary for a game due to come out later this year - the models where REALLY lacking on close ups and the framerate still took significant hits the whole way through, not to mention these where presumably hand picked to be the best couple seconds of footage they had.

 

 I guess there where similar issues with LOA's trailers when they first came out, but... I mean, even ignoring the level of "do *I* want to put my money towards these games", I really hope the poor employees aren't being overworked. LOA was a big change up from everything they did before and to be jumping into this so soon...

 

 Well, I'm a bit worried we'll get another Sw/Sh situation where it's just just rushed.

 

 But yes, grass kitty is cute... If... Somewhat... Familiar...

 

image.png.0899cf686d1eaad8064ba0e6125bf0d7.png

Link to comment
  • Administrator
On 3/2/2022 at 12:41 PM, Exelior said:

Starters are cute, but I'm completely against the grain when it comes to open world Pokemon games. (Personally I feel like none of this is their forte nor really fits with the gameplay of Pokemon anyway, and honestly, my dream would be a return to 2D (which GF are much better at programming and finalising) with more emphasis on writing better stories and characters to make those designs. The gameplay has always been fine, the only thing the games arguably need is a better way of scaling difficulty and to drop the generational gimmicks)

 

 But since we're down this road, the only thing I really have to judge this game on outside of those 3 designs is the graphics, and honestly? That trailer was kinda scary for a game due to come out later this year - the models where REALLY lacking on close ups and the framerate still took significant hits the whole way through, not to mention these where presumably hand picked to be the best couple seconds of footage they had.

 

 I guess there where similar issues with LOA's trailers when they first came out, but... I mean, even ignoring the level of "do *I* want to put my money towards these games", I really hope the poor employees aren't being overworked. LOA was a big change up from everything they did before and to be jumping into this so soon...

 

 Well, I'm a bit worried we'll get another Sw/Sh situation where it's just just rushed.

 

 But yes, grass kitty is cute... If... Somewhat... Familiar...

 

image.png.0899cf686d1eaad8064ba0e6125bf0d7.png

Yeah, I agree with what's been said here but I didn't mind the open world of Arceus Legends though I think they could've made it better with more interactions and a real sense of role-playing - I want to build friendships with people and choose sides and all that. 

I feel like it's pretty soon for a new Pokemon game too - this is starting to feel like Call of Duty or something with something pokemon related coming out each year. And yeah, grass kitty looks familiar. I just hope it's final stage is cooler looking!

Is this game based on Spain?

Link to comment
8 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

 Is this game based on Spain?

I believe so - or something similarly Mediterranean like Greece or Cyprus, but probably Spain.

Link to comment

Given from the look of the map and also the name of the starters it looks like it will be Spain and Portugal too.

For Sprigatito: gatito = kitten

Fuecoco is similar to fuego = fire/flame

Not sure where Quaxly comes from though.

Also speculations are on new typings being added, and also people believe that scarlet and violet, especially violet, refer to light, more precisely ultraviolet and infrared ones.

In the initial part there was quite the play with light too, with the torch and all, so I wouldn't exclude it.

About the game being open world I am not opposed, it seems that it will hopefully take the quality of life improvement Legends Arceus brought, also Legends is open map, not open world.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Oh, looks pretty solid surprisingly. I just hope we have a good story.

The professors look cool. The world reminds me a lot of Legends.

But those legendaries.... very nice! I'm leaning more towards Scarlet at the moment.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Its okay I guess, definitely more invested than I was for Sword and Shield.

Certainly the new mechanic looks better to me than Dynamax, prettier at least, but I still don't like how it seems to be open to all pokemon as usual, makes it less special to me.

The pokemon look cute, nothing to say, but Koraidon running around while it has wheels makes zero sense to me. If it runs don't hive it wheels.

Link to comment

@AquilaTempestas

it looks really awesome! I love motorcycles and I’m a teacher in real life so the fact that we’re at a school excites me. The crystals look interesting, and remind me of Molly Hale’s crystal fortress from Pokémon three but without the Eerie setting. I’m hoping we learn more about the catching system soon. As someone who really did not do well with the catching system in Pokémon legends in thus could not complete the game, i’m hoping they don’t decide to completely use that model going forward. My other fear is the wild areas will be like sword and shield where it was reliant on real time and a lot of luck. That was really frustrating, and while I was able to get around with transfer, as of Pokémon legends I am no longer using it, so I won’t have access to that this time. I’m thinking of getting both games because I like the version differences, but i’m waiting before I pre-order or decide to wait for Christmas (since I can no longer get things on preorder date due to not having expedited delivery service anymore, and instead get them a few days later

Link to comment

It does look interesting. The new Terastral gimmick does look more appealing than Dynamaxing, I'm just hoping there's a bit more lore to it. What really caught my curiosity was that the gyms aren't linear, what? In every pokemon game, there is a set order, now we can just...pick which gym to take on? If that's not surprising, idk what is.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 8/5/2022 at 1:17 AM, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas

it looks really awesome! I love motorcycles and I’m a teacher in real life so the fact that we’re at a school excites me. The crystals look interesting, and remind me of Molly Hale’s crystal fortress from Pokémon three but without the Eerie setting. I’m hoping we learn more about the catching system soon. As someone who really did not do well with the catching system in Pokémon legends in thus could not complete the game, i’m hoping they don’t decide to completely use that model going forward. My other fear is the wild areas will be like sword and shield where it was reliant on real time and a lot of luck. That was really frustrating, and while I was able to get around with transfer, as of Pokémon legends I am no longer using it, so I won’t have access to that this time. I’m thinking of getting both games because I like the version differences, but i’m waiting before I pre-order or decide to wait for Christmas (since I can no longer get things on preorder date due to not having expedited delivery service anymore, and instead get them a few days later

Yeah, it does look interesting. The catching system in Legends felt quite grindy - I didn't complete the game either. And yeah, I didn't like the real time factor thing either from Sword/Shield. I hope they don't bring that in because that's just frustrating and not everyone has the time. 

On 8/5/2022 at 4:40 AM, VectorLogic said:

It does look interesting. The new Terastral gimmick does look more appealing than Dynamaxing, I'm just hoping there's a bit more lore to it. What really caught my curiosity was that the gyms aren't linear, what? In every pokemon game, there is a set order, now we can just...pick which gym to take on? If that's not surprising, idk what is.

Dynamaxing just felt kinda lame so hoping new gimmick is much improved. Gyms will be interesting - will they scale to whatever your levels are, I wonder.

Link to comment

@AquilaTempestas

I think something confirmed that they don’t. Which isn’t a dealbreaker for me. The games I played that did level scale either focused on that at the expense of everything else (The hack Pokémon Crystal Clear) or were pretty tedious with their other mechanics in place of levels (Nexomon, both games). It sounds like they will have something that will be different depending on where the player fights them, though so maybe something basic. And it also sounds like the player with the freedom to catch different Pokémon even the ones that are in different regions of the game. I sure hope so, at least, because I wouldn’t mind something like what Arceus where you could catch higher level Pokémon, but they wouldn’t obey you, at least so I could get far away Pokémon without trading them.

Link to comment
On 8/20/2022 at 11:22 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Yeah, it does look interesting. The catching system in Legends felt quite grindy - I didn't complete the game either. And yeah, I didn't like the real time factor thing either from Sword/Shield. I hope they don't bring that in because that's just frustrating and not everyone has the time. 

I didn't mind it, but I'm someone who does enjoy grinding so its personal.

Unfortunately you probably lost one of the best story along with one of the coolest and hardest battles, for pokemon standards that is. But I do get why people didn't like it, the game itself is different from the mainline titles, and the fight system is different and balanced entirely differently too. (to say my team at lv 100 sometime struggles taking down mons at half of their level)

I got Shield late, so I didn't really feel the time based problem, nor the need to catch anything for my team as I used the shinies I caught in older gens, and what I didn't have I transfered, so that was rather easy. What I did like it was that you could catch Pokemon fully evolved in the wild, even the ones with those annoying evos.

Speaking of, I do hope that the evolution by items that is in Arceus is brought back, I don't really feel like doing trades all the time for those you know? Along with other quality of life things the game brought too.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:22 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Dynamaxing just felt kinda lame so hoping new gimmick is much improved. Gyms will be interesting - will they scale to whatever your levels are, I wonder.

More than lame, it was lazy, just take a pokemon and make it giant, yes some have new forms but meh, we already saw different forms in megas, so again, a recycled thing.

I sure do hope the scaling will be decent, at the very least somewhat challenging and not for kids as always.

I do not want the mess of BDSP where gyms were embarassingly easy, and then the E4 and Cynthia had competitive like AI. Give a balance, do you want them easy or challenging? What would it cost to be able to choose a difficulty? 

Also the Terastal phenomenon sounds better in italian, which is Teracrystal.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 8/23/2022 at 7:55 AM, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas

I think something confirmed that they don’t. Which isn’t a dealbreaker for me. The games I played that did level scale either focused on that at the expense of everything else (The hack Pokémon Crystal Clear) or were pretty tedious with their other mechanics in place of levels (Nexomon, both games). It sounds like they will have something that will be different depending on where the player fights them, though so maybe something basic. And it also sounds like the player with the freedom to catch different Pokémon even the ones that are in different regions of the game. I sure hope so, at least, because I wouldn’t mind something like what Arceus where you could catch higher level Pokémon, but they wouldn’t obey you, at least so I could get far away Pokémon without trading them.

Hmm, that sounds interesting regarding freedom of catching pokemon from different regions. At least that would allow for greater flexibility in the early stages of the game.

Arceus Legends was fine - I just wished it had a bit more choice.

Gotta say though, the new professors look pretty cool. 

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

Personally I think Violet for the exclusives, that's all about it really.

Not going to get it at release anyways, so not fussed about spoilers and all, so I can still change ideas.

Starters depends on the final evolution, didn't see any leaks so for now going with the grass cat, but depends how they evolve. 

Link to comment

Fuecoco because I have a soft spot for cocodriles (not much of a surprise considering that Totodile is my favorite starter and favorite Pokémon). I'm still not sure about which version I'll get, maybe Scarlet.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

So. What version are people getting? Who will your starter be?

@onewiththewheels @Sakura Alexia @Nocturna @Sakura @VectorLogic @Lightningblade49 @Wizarmonfan

Grass kitty on my main profile. Fuecoco on my second profile.

Getting Scarlet first, Violet later.

Link to comment

@AquilaTempestas

Both. I'm planning on getting one to 100% everything, including upcoming DLC which has been hinted in leaks. The other will be gotten just for me to mess around on and do challenges on, because I skipped that with both Brilliant Diamond and Legends: Arceus. The former I played the original Platinum too many times to go through it over again. The latter I really didn't like and never finished. but this one will not have either of those problems, especially considering the leaks I'm looking at.

Link to comment
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...