Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Anime/Manga and Cartoons
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

• Administrator

Hmm, good question, but I think the show would remain mostly the same as it was back then. I don't know how anime/manga is with adding LGBT stuff but they might've had a gay/lesbian character possibly since a lot of modern shows are adding this sort of material in now.

30 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Hmm, good question, but I think the show would remain mostly the same as it was back then. I don't know how anime/manga is with adding LGBT stuff but they might've had a gay/lesbian character possibly since a lot of modern shows are adding this sort of material in now.

I think anime pioneered it over western material (i.e. sailor moon, ranma 1/2, naruto), but they kept it rather subtle and implicit, or passed it off as a joke (I recently found out Ty and Daichi accidently kiss in the Japanese cut, but its for laughs). I think now they might be more direct about it and actually state it, like they do with Yuri on Ice.

I'm thinking Kai, because to me he was always gay. I started watching when v-force first aired and I could only watch it at my friend's place cause my parents didnt allow TV, so I didn't catch all episodes.  My first, was that episode with Wyatt/Yuuya in boarding school.  My friend had told me anime tend to have a lot of gay characters, so 12 year old me assumed he was one of them. Didn't help that the dub I watched never stated what actually happened to Wyatt, so when he keeps on having those flashbacks and sees him in his pj's I was thinking "why does he keep on picturing this guy? I guess he must be in love with him or something".  Wasn't until I rewatched it and saw all episodes in order and was like "Ohhhhh... now i get it" haha

Actually, the very first episode I ever watched was 48, but I didn't make the connection that it was the same anime because the art style was different and that was the only s1 episode I had caught when it first aired (no idea how the spinning tops didn't throw me off, but hey, during that time, all anime were copying each other, like digimon and pokemon). Episode 48 is an epic one to lose one's bey-ginity to.

I think that should be a whole other thread of questions: What was your very first beyblade episode? Or, what wrong assumptions did you make the first time around? That would be fun to hear.

• Administrator
Just now, inyo said:

I think anime pioneered it over western material (i.e. sailor moon, ranma 1/2, naruto), but they kept it rather subtle and implicit, or passed it off as a joke (I recently found out Takao and Daichi accidently kiss in the Japanese cut, but its for laughs). I think now they might be more direct about it and actually state it.

I'm thinking Kai, because to me he was always gay. I started watching when v-force first aired and I could only watch it at my friend's place cause my parents didnt allow TV, so I didn't catch all episodes.  My first, was that episode with Wyatt/Yuuya in boarding school.  My friend had told me anime tend to have a lot of gay characters, so 12 year old me assumed he was one of them. Didn't help that the dub I watched never stated what actually happened to Wyatt, so when he keeps on having those flashbacks and sees him in his pj's I was thinking "why does he keep on picturing this guy? I guess he must be in love with him or something".  Wasn't until I rewatched it and saw all episodes in order and was like "Ohhhhh... now i get it" haha

Actually, the very first episode I ever watched was 48, but I didn't make the connection that it was the same anime because the art style was different and that was the only s1 episode I had caught when it first aired (no idea how the spinning tops didn't throw me off, but hey, during that time, all anime were copying each other, like digimon and pokemon). Episode 48 is an epic one to lose one's bey-ginity to.

I think that should be a whole other thread of questions: What was your very first beyblade episode? Or, what wrong assumptions did you make the first time around? That would be fun to hear.

Ha ha yeah, the Wyatt/Kai stuff was always strange to me. Wyatt was so obsessed with Kai for some reason and then Kai is like thinking about him and such ha ha ha. I remember his battle against one of the Psykick members and he's thinking about Wyatt. Kai never has much interaction with the females either.

My first Beyblade episode was actually the very first. It was on tv one day before school and I was like cool a new show. I loved it immediately. Surprisingly, I didn't like Tyson, but I was a Kai and Rei fangirl at first. Oh and I remember not liking Boris! Ha ha ha, shock horror. I was like he's so mean to poor Kai!

19 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Ha ha yeah, the Wyatt/Kai stuff was always strange to me. Wyatt was so obsessed with Kai for some reason and then Kai is like thinking about him and such ha ha ha. I remember his battle against one of the Psykick members and he's thinking about Wyatt. Kai never has much interaction with the females either.

My first Beyblade episode was actually the very first. It was on tv one day before school and I was like cool a new show. I loved it immediately. Surprisingly, I didn't like Tyson, but I was a Kai and Rei fangirl at first. Oh and I remember not liking Boris! Ha ha ha, shock horror. I was like he's so mean to poor Kai!

Oh yeah, forgot he was as much into Kai as Kai was into him, if not more.  And yeah, true he shows zero interest in girls, like isn't Hil meant to be hitting on him and he drops her ice cold? Maybe that's just something they added in the dub. Doesn't Kai at some point say: "You are the only one I cannot fight" to wyatt, which is kind of odd, given the premise of the show is everyone fighting and becoming friends after, like it isnt seen as betrayal lol. I gotta rewatch that arc in the original version to get some clarity (someone finally made fansubs for all episodes). Maybe they were canon all along haha. Though I doubt it, I feel like that would have been a big announcement in the fandom.

And hahaha, I can definitely understand you not liking him. I loved Boris when he first appeared, he had a Darth Vader vibe to me. Especially since he is all "Join us, the dark side of beyblading can give you all the power you desire" and is basically Voltaire's henchman, who was like the emperor. I also liked Ray because he was so mysterious and Max, since he was nice. And hilary, because i found it cool that she was a girl, and I did not have standards for females in shounen anime beyond that, which is pretty sad lol. I thought Ty was pretty annoying, but I liked him more in G-rev.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, inyo said:

Oh yeah, forgot he was as much into Kai as Kai was into him, if not more.  And yeah, true he shows zero interest in girls, like isn't Hil meant to be hitting on him and he drops her ice cold? Maybe that's just something they added in the dub. Doesn't Kai at some point say: "You are the only one I cannot fight" to wyatt, which is kind of odd, given the premise of the show is everyone fighting and becoming friends after, like it isnt seen as betrayal lol. I gotta rewatch that arc in the original version to get some clarity (someone finally made fansubs for all episodes). Maybe they were canon all along haha. Though I doubt it, I feel like that would have been a big announcement in the fandom.

And hahaha, I can definitely understand you not liking him. I loved Boris when he first appeared, he had a Darth Vader vibe to me. Especially since he is all "Join us, the dark side of beyblading can give you all the power you desire" and is basically Voltaire's henchman, who was like the emperor. I also liked Ray because he was so mysterious and Max, since he was nice. And hilary, because i found it cool that she was a girl, and I did not have standards for females in shounen anime beyond that, which is pretty sad lol. I thought Ty was pretty annoying, but I liked him more in G-rev.

Ha ha yeah, I remember that line! I was like what the heck, Kai? I mean, you'd think he would be pissed that Wyatt stole his blade. I think he starts crying during the fight with that fat dude from Psykick over Wyatt hahaha. Then he fights on for the sake of Wyatt. But then I remember in the Jap version Wyatt actually died and Kai felt guilty over it. The way the English dub went about it was just weird. Wyatt only fainted. Rei is always chasing after the girls. Maxie too. Tyson just has Hilary. 

Yeah, I was just rooting for Kai to overcome the darkness hahaha. Nowadays, I see Boris in a totally different light and he's so cool. Tyson was kinda annoying in season 1, but I lay that down to him being like 12 years old. He was definitely better in G-Rev when he was battling with typical teenage angsty moments. I really liked his arc. Feeling like he was betrayed by the people he considered his best friends. People are always betraying Tyson lol.

44 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Ha ha yeah, I remember that line! I was like what the heck, Kai? I mean, you'd think he would be pissed that Wyatt stole his blade. I think he starts crying during the fight with that fat dude from Psykick over Wyatt hahaha. Then he fights on for the sake of Wyatt. But then I remember in the Jap version Wyatt actually died and Kai felt guilty over it. The way the English dub went about it was just weird. Wyatt only fainted. Rei is always chasing after the girls. Maxie too. Tyson just has Hilary. 

Yeah, I was just rooting for Kai to overcome the darkness hahaha. Nowadays, I see Boris in a totally different light and he's so cool. Tyson was kinda annoying in season 1, but I lay that down to him being like 12 years old. He was definitely better in G-Rev when he was battling with typical teenage angsty moments. I really liked his arc. Feeling like he was betrayed by the people he considered his best friends. People are always betraying Tyson lol.

I do understand why they changed it, cause that is damn dark, even if it wasn't technically his fault. Though I find as an adult, when one is more likely to have experienced something along those lines, various regrets about not having been there on time before loved ones died etc, it is much heavier than as a child. I think a kid watching it would have just seen it as yeah whatever. But the way they changed it it defs made all his subsequent interactions with the ghost of Wyatt come across as pretty weird.

I loved Tyson's arc in G-rev. It was great to have him mature. Even v-force tyson is pretty cool when he learns to become more humble. Tyson taking his friends leaving so hard totally makes sense in the context, as his mother, father, brother have all left him in the past, so it is no surprise he has such fleshed out fears of abandonment, especially after finally feeling like he found a family and that everything is good. I feel for the guy. Also makes sense why he is so quick to forgive and forget whoever has betrayed him in the past, whenever they do return, like Hiro or his team mates. Heck, even I felt upset when everything changes and suddenly they are not one team anymore.

One of the great things about beyblade is that it actually gets better as you get older and you have experienced similar emotions and understand why people act the way they do. Takao Aoki did a great job when it comes to that.

• 2 months later...

I have another epic conspiracy theory, this time that the China arc, Ray leaving behind the Byakko clain/ white tiger village was meant to subliminally encourage the Chinese people to resist communism. I shall flesh it out more later, but first i wonder, was it aired in China at all, or does anyone know if it was edited there in some way :D

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, inyo said:

I have another epic conspiracy theory, this time that the China arc, Ray leaving behind the Byakko clain/ white tiger village was meant to subliminally encourage the Chinese people to resist communism. I shall flesh it out more later, but first i wonder, was it aired in China at all, or does anyone know if it was edited there in some way :D

That is an interesting idea. 

Regarding Beyblade in China, they sell Beyblade products there. I imagine the show was aired there as well.

I can only find the newer Beyblade. Not sure about the original though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-Beyblade-Tv-1-51-End-Cantonese-and-Mandarin-Dub-Chinese-Subtitle-/282027859866

On 2/25/2016 at 5:27 AM, AquilaTempestas said:

Yay, another Tyson fan 

Let's discuss Beyblade pairings!

Which pairings are your favourites and why?

I answered this before but I did start off a Ty/Hil fan but gosh I don’t know I read a Kai and Hilary and was hooked still to this day a huge fan and of course write about them .

On 10/4/2016 at 8:39 AM, Princess Aurum said:

By the way, guys, do you know in hindi dubbed version of this anime, kenny's gender has been transferred into a girl? 

Say what ?! 

On 10/4/2016 at 3:42 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Does anyone else get lame vibes from Barthaz? I swear, the man is just a cheap-Boris wannabe, and let's face it - no one can be as awesome as Boris!

Lol yeah but I guess they had to make something out of  nonthing before the real bad guys show up.

i have to agree that if they remade it tons more crazy explosions and heck who know maybe violence snice we have anime like Attack on Titan 

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

Phew. Just got back into writing Beyblade again after years of silence, and I just remember how much I loved this show and its characters.

Which characters do you like writing about and why? And what do you all think of Bryan/Ming Ming? Heh.

And yes @Lightningblade49 there is a lot of yelling in this show haha.

@Princess Aurum @Nirianne @MasKaiHilFantic @Indigo Jupiter @inyo @Adelina Amouteru

On 12/19/2019 at 1:38 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Phew. Just got back into writing Beyblade again after years of silence, and I just remember how much I loved this show and its characters.

Which characters do you like writing about and why? And what do you all think of Bryan/Ming Ming? Heh.

@Princess Aurum @Nirianne @MasKaiHilFantic @Indigo Jupiter @inyo @Adelina Amouteru

Well....not bad at all..Ming-ming has two opposite personalities and she can easily control the tough and ruthless nature of Bryan.

On 12/18/2019 at 11:38 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Mostly Kai and Hilary. Though there has been growing fondness for Blitzkrieg boys and Mathilda from Barthez Battlion (did i get the name correct? lol) 

The thing is, it depends on my mood. Recently i was thinking of writing about Salima, Kane and Mariam :D It's like playing with toys. 

Why i write about them? Bonds! Beyblade didn't explore them enough because the anime was all about beyblade (it was supposed to like that!). But they didn't told us what teams did in their free time? Did they have fights? How they got closer? Did they pull pranks on each other?! So much potential there was! 

Bryan and Ming Ming? Hot AF xD 
But really no, i once read a fic about them and she wrote them so well! it pretty much convinced me that oh yesh.....they certainly go along well together :'D 

On 12/19/2019 at 1:38 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Oh, I skipped the question where you asked about the characters. Umm......actually, I tend to write about almost all the characters of bladebreakers aka G-revolution. Mostly I love to write about Kai and Hilary. Trying TyXHil too for a few days or months. In the past, RayxMariah was my favorite pairing. I don't know whether you'll be happy or not, but recently I've been attracted by the pairing RayXSalima! :P

My recent fics are Kingdom (KaiXHil), The last farewell (MariamXMaxXEmily), All truths shouldn't be spoken (TyXHil). So.....it's tough to decide my favorite characters about which I like to write xD 

• Administrator

I figure I should answer my own question.

I'm a big fan of the Majestics and the BEGA team. I also worship Boris and I'm sure I'm his only fan around though I am working on convincing @Nirianne to worship him too.

I tend to enjoy working with characters whose backstories aren't so well developed. For example, Mystel. In my mind, he's part of some secret assassin order and this is explored in my Beyblade season 4 story, A Hero's Last Cry.

I'm also a big Tyson fan. Love the guy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 1/22/2020 at 7:45 PM, Aurelia Aurita said:

MichaelxEmily. 

(Sometimes MaxxEmily too :P) 

Oh yeah, Michael/Emily is a fun one. Such a contrast of personalities! I loved their interactions in season 1. I remember him calling her a munchkin haha.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

All the team arcs taught us something so I found it pretty interesting.

White Tigers was all about friendship and loyalty.

DBoys about darkness, angst and the cost of seeking power.

Majestics was about the power of teamwork and being rich doesn't mean you are better skilled.

The All Stars was about skill over technology (with a good level of humour too).

And Tyson was about overcoming adversity when the odds are against you.

So to me S1 had some pretty deep lessons for people if you looked between the lines. The later two seasons lost that magic.

Figured I'd better show my face here.

Still love Beyblade. It was such an iconic anime for me, probably one of the first I actively followed since anime wasn't big here and also we didn't have digital TV at the time so we had to watch what Terrestrial showed us. It's also the one fandom I've written in for the last 17 years. 

Fave characters (god so many): IAN! Kai. Mystel! Mariam and Hilary.

Pairings (I'll stick to canon characters): Tyson/Hilary; Bryan/Mariam; Enrique/Julia; Spencer/Mathilda are my mains.

My favourite arc from season one is probably the final arc, seeing Kai finally open up and accept his team, throw off what was expected of him and Tyson breaking through to Tala to give us endless BBoys imagines. Which was fantastic. But I love how all the arcs were dedicated to the various boys on the team. That was so well done.

G-rev is probably my favourite season for giving us Mystel and Brooklyn but it deprived me of serious Ian snark so I'm bitter.

I quite like V-force. Even though it was an utter disaster, I loved seeing the Saint Shields and more exploration of what the bitbeasts are and how they come to be. That was fascinating and probably what gave me the basis for my season four fanfic.