Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Game-Specific
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

Pokemon Sword & Shield

@onewiththewheels

It seems pretty clear to me that Game Freak is way too focused on the new audience to care about the old one at all, its obvious that they want the game to be only for children, forgetting all the veterans that, despite everything, still love their games and fandom and still support them at the end of the day, yet, get no love back from the company.

I have nothing against them trying to reach new people, but its clear that they mean to cut out who is still a fan of the franchise in favor of new people, veterans should not have to feel left out or having to resort to other games/challenges just for the sake of making the game a bit harder and more pleasing, and not feel like there's always someone holding your hand through the game. I hated that about gen 7 so much.

There's way harder games out there yet even kids play them, they don't need things made easier, just like we adults don't need it either. Kids aren't stupid, they can learn to become better, its part of the process of playing a video game, its normal, let it happen.

• Administrator

I just wish there was a hard mode option available at the start. Kinda like how they had challenge mod in white and black 2. I loved that so much and it was actually challenging. Ghetsis was a nightmare lol. 

I don't care they are catering towards a more casual player base - that's fine. But just give us a hard mode for veterans please! 

16 hours ago, onewiththewheels said:

@Lightningblade49 @Sakura Alexia

I honestly wouldn't mind a Let's Go Johto, as someone that really likedsPokémon go, but lives in a bad area for it (rural, can’t drive, and can't walk long distances, not to mention my service currently is not the best). It really allowed me to experience the game without any limitations that are beyond my control. And I also wouldn't mind Kanto not appearing. A lot of Johto felt empty and rushed, even in the remakes, and I can't help but wonder if that was because of Kanto having to share space with it. Let's Go did a wonderful job of fleshing out Kanto and fixing areas that have issues, so I'm eager to see what it can do with Johto. I'm not sure what Pokémon they would use for Johto, though. Popular fan theories are Togepi and Marril, but neither of those Pokémon are very good without things from later generations.

As for generation one in other games, it really doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is older fans expecting the games to be tailored to them (mainly thinking of Dexit, but also complaints on difficulty when challenge runs, battle facilities, online battling, and even fan made creations exist). People fail to realize that if a series does not attract newer fans constantly, it will eventually die. So of course the Pokémon company has to make games though bringing newer fans, because the older ones will typically buy no matter what. I might be in the minority, though.

As for the new anime season, I'm interested as well. I almost got interested in generation seven, but the idea of Ash going to school and the emphasis on humor seemed odd to me. But on another topic involving Ash, does anyone else get annoyed when people make smarter Ash fanfics (or other fan projects)? It usually involves a massive change of his personality, and at that point it is not Ash, but someone else that has his name and face. I feel like Ash's problem is not that he isn't smart, but rather his personality needs to be explored more (e.g. a bit more consequences for his actions, or reasoning behind his bad or reckless decisions). The Pokémon anime being what it is, it's unlikely this will ever be seen officially, but I feel like that’s something fan projects can focus on instead of changing his character completely.

Let's go johto has to have kanto or at least a big post game, its by far the smallest region and the quickest to get through and honestly having kanto as post game was what made Heart Gold & Soul Silver probably a top 3 game. The problem with let's go is while I don't mind the catching with the joycon the fact that you can level through catching is just way to too broken and easy to over level if you could battle pokemon first then enter the catching scene like with the legendaries then I think let's go would have been better.

Honestly found Let's go quite boring halfway through needed a little more starch or at least A POST GAME. I understand why they did this game to attract the fans so I have no issue with that just could have been a little better for "expert" players of the console games.

Ash is a bitch should have won a league by now but they constantly reset his character and have attempted to "remove" his old pokemon from the picture but make mistakes in the anime where they end rolling with a "New Ash" that has travelled multiple regions yet doesn't understand some simple concepts in battles......somehow. Whish is why you see a lot of ASH SMART fanfictions where they try not to reset his character and actually improve at a reasonable rate and not say 10.

I don't particularly care for anime for a long time but I do check in to see what he catches. I am interested in a giant fat retro Pikachu in Galar might see some old school animation so I might check it out along with a more mature looking Ash perhaps?

Ps: I look forward to seeing how the anime prevent Ash from winning probably the easiest league in his life which is alola LMFAO!

16 hours ago, Sakura Alexia said:

@onewiththewheels

It seems pretty clear to me that Game Freak is way too focused on the new audience to care about the old one at all, its obvious that they want the game to be only for children, forgetting all the veterans that, despite everything, still love their games and fandom and still support them at the end of the day, yet, get no love back from the company.

I have nothing against them trying to reach new people, but its clear that they mean to cut out who is still a fan of the franchise in favor of new people, veterans should not have to feel left out or having to resort to other games/challenges just for the sake of making the game a bit harder and more pleasing, and not feel like there's always someone holding your hand through the game. I hated that about gen 7 so much.

There's way harder games out there yet even kids play them, they don't need things made easier, just like we adults don't need it either. Kids aren't stupid, they can learn to become better, its part of the process of playing a video game, its normal, let it happen.

Just a heads-up Gamefreak officially stated this game was for the older players the veterans when they announced let's go :) 

@Lightningblade49

The reasons you listed are why I would just like Johto to be expanded. A lot of things in previous games were missing in Johto, so if those things were added into Johto it would make as long as any other region. Kanto did make the game longer, but it was also rushed and fast (remakes included), and the battles that were mostly easy. I'd rather have one good region than two rushed ones, and maybe something else as postgame (I always thought White City from Pokémon Stadium 2 should be incorporated, complete with increased exploration).

As for Let's Go being easy, while leveling up by catching and candy did make the game easier, there are simple ways of getting around that. Simply don't use candy or switch out to Pokémon you're not going to use when making catches. Every Pokémon other than Mewtwo and Mew can be caught more than once, so you're not messing anything up if you do that.

The issue with Ash is that him losing or winning Leagues doesn't really matter either way, because that's not his ultimate goal. Ash’s goal is still to become a Pokémon Master, and from what we know of the anime, beating of the Leagues doesn't have anything to do with becoming a Pokémon Master (since Lorelei is one without having beaten the Leagues). Honestly, the only way they could've handled the league part properly is by having Ash win some and lose some. But it still wouldn't make any difference on his goal overall. Even when Ash wins things, he declined taking positions of authority because of his goal (such as refusing to become a Frontier Brain), implying that winning things isn't part of becoming a Pokémon master.

As for Ash’s power resetting, I suspect that's to make him similar to the fact that the player cannot carry over Pokémon from previous games until they've reached a certain point or have certain apps. However, in Ash’s case, there is no restriction, and the whole thing does not make sense. However, this could've easily been resolved by implementing the restrictions somehow, or simply have Ash not wanting to just defeat Trainers with overpowered Pokémon. Pikachu's power resetting could've also been explained by something reoccurring rather than just random events repeatedly. For example, Pikachu could have an illness that he is attempting to control, but then flares up with the stress of traveling to new regions, and said illness resets all his power. Or there could be a reoccurring enemy that just wants to weaken Ash, and decide the best way of doing so is to target his strongest Pokémon. Something like this could have made Pikachu's bar reset make a lot more sense, but alas, the anime doesn't have that.

The idea of him not understanding simple concepts could've been expanded upon as well. One thing is to simply have new main characters every arc, similar to Pokémon Special. The other is to give Ash's decisions a reason, like with Pikachu's above. Something similar for Ash would work, like memory loss and having to relearn everything due to a reoccurring enemy. Another thing might be something more natural. For example, having him have a condition that affects memory, or just not being all that good and battles anyway and really pursuing something else while having that on the side.

For example, I'm working on a story now where I'm considering having Ash with ADHD. It explains a lot of his issues, since ADHD affects memory and concentration. If memory and concentration are affected, it would be difficult to learn even the basics of battle, and battling itself could easily be a nightmare. It would explain why Ash doesn't remember basic things, since thanks to the ADHD it would be difficult to do so. It also explains recklessness, because ADHD often involves difficulty with impulses, and difficulty understanding or considering consequences of actions until it is too late. ADHD can also give difficulty in an academic setting, which would also explain why Ash had difficulty in the academic settings he was in. Something like that would really flesh out his character, and have it make more sense without really changing a lot, and also explains why he doesn't improve as much as the audience would think. But something like that is fairly complex, and not something the official work is likely to do, so we are stuck with a character that doesn't make much sense.

As for Alola, I think the concept was great, but the execution was really bad. It's cool to see a diverse cast learning and growing throughout the entire show, and then eventually squaring off in a formal setting against each other. But since a lot of them don't have much battle power or experience, it ends up being done poorly, since it gives the impression that almost anyone can enter and win. Furthermore, the ones that do have battle prowess and make it near the finals are ones that the audience does not know was much, defeating the entire interesting idea of a bunch of close friends that the audiences watched progress battling against each other.

@AquilaTempestas@Sakura Alexia@onewiththewheels

August 7th 6:00 a.m. PDT

New trailer dropping :) 

@AquilaTempestas I think it's 11pm on Wednesday for us.

Some rumors seem confirmed online wont spoil but I think I mentioned some of it already in my rant.

Thought I would leave this here. It's a recent video about the Dex controversy. Unlike most videos, it's entirely neutral, as well as summarizing and analyzing every argument that has come up. Seeing as new information is coming up on the seventh, and the Dex controversy may be reignited with it, it's worth a watch. It has a lot of good information, as well is examining how much weight each argument really holds, as well as examining the fanbase reactions themselves.

This is the trailer from August 7.  A couple of things to note: 

-permanent evolutions for old Pokémon  other than Eevee  have returned,   But it’s not known how many there will be. Currently there is a new evolution for Linoone.

- regional forms have returned, with the Zigzagoon and Koffing lines  having them.  Interestingly, the Linoone line  is also the one confirmed to have a new evolution,  so it’s not known if the Hoenn  version of Linoone  will be able to evolve into it.

- two new rivals Bebe and Marnie

- A new antagonistic team, Team Yell.  They are fans of Marnie,  and at least one of them is confirmed to use Galgar’s Zigazagoon.

-A new Pokémon, Morpeko,  that  can change forms mid-battle. 

- A sort of quest system seems to exist, where the player can take on jobs and send a Pokémon to do tasks.

Overall, I’m quite pleased with what has been seen today. However, the only thing I’m a bit wary of is the new evolutions.  While it’s nice to see them come back after three generations of not having them ( not counting Eevee into Sylveon),  I am hoping they don’t go overboard. Generations that had a lot of evolutions, like Generations II and IV,  often felt like old forms were just being reused in a new coat of paint.  The games themselves were solid, but the amount of actual new Pokémon was disappointing. I’m hoping that doesn’t happen here. 

There was so much more to the Japanese trailer than the English trailer, LOL. A full minute longer. I guess they didn't want to or didn't have time to translate all that dialogue and text?

Filling in a bit:

New rival Bede seems like the arrogant jerk type (good news for @Sakura Alexia!) and is going off about how League board members (of whom he is one) are more elite than the Champion. He also uses "boku" and falls into the polished pretty-boy villain type we see a lot in Japanese media, like Kuja from FFIX.

New Rival Marnie seems cool, collected, and competitive. Nice to see a female rival who might actually be competent even if she is not stopping Team Yell from following her around and getting in the way of everyone else taking the League Challenge.

Team Yell, besides talking about how they are such fans of Marnie that they try to stop others attempting to take the League Challenge, also had some typical psychic-type-user lines like "I can see your defeat" and "I can hear your screams," so they may also use psychic types.

The English trailer honestly did get in most of the new information (new evolutions, new pokemon, new rivals, and the nuisance bad-guy team), pretty impressive considering it was a full minute shorter, but the glaring omission is the part-time work for pokemon. The wall of text was way too much text to translate I guess! There are job listings for which the business owners want Pokemon part-time help, and some of them are pretty realistic. A couple I remember were water freight-transport, for which they needed a water type, and working with overhead telecommunications wires, for which they said "a pokemon on which electricity has no effect would be good, I guess?" So, the business owners specify what type of pokemon they would like, and you send out your pokemon to go do part-time work, and they come back to you (you can see the list of jobs and the female player character sending her pokemon out in the Japanese trailer). 

Also, it seems that this is related to the growth of your pokemon in some way, as the job system was introduced by saying "growth through helping," but the mechanic of how that works is not clear.

That's about all. I liked the bagpipe music, which was only in the Japanese trailer, and the hard rock bit at the end of the English one. Also, the footage was pretty different between the Japanese and English trailers (the English one wasn't just a cut-down version, it had some totally different footage that wasn't in the Japanese one, and vice-versa), so interested people might find it worthwhile to watch both.

• Administrator

Did they get a new art director or something? I thought Bede was some old lady lol. Whatever happened to characters that looked like Blue Oak and Lance? Cyrus? Cynthia? Barry? Hugh? Silver? Dawn? Why can't we have an actual grandma as a rival? 

I like how there are two rivals. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. That new villain team having psychics would be pretty cool if it happens. Sick of former teams having poison or dark types. It's so stereotypical. 

I hope the npcs have interesting stories. I also wish we had a nasty female rival for a change so hopefully this new girl is a bitch. Again. Girls can be smug nasty people too. This is not limited to the boys. 

Oh. I wish backwards compatibility was a thing. Would like to play the 3ds games again but I no longer have one since I traded it for a Switch. 

@AquilaTempestas

I believe that you have a new art director, at least for the Pokémon. Not too sure about the human characters, but I remembered that there was a big fuss when it was discovered someone else was doing the design. I really don’t mind, considering it’s a new take on Pokémon. As for a grandma character  as arrival, it probably wouldn’t work because the characters would not be peers, and the older one would most likely be a mentor figure.  That said, having a mentor figure appear and test the player’s strength throughout the game would be interesting. 

@Nubushi

Thank you for the translations! I can see why they were not added, because there is a lot of text. I’ve added the Japanese trailer for anyone that wants to watch it. 

@AquilaTempestas

The Venerable Bede

An English saint, the Father of English History, and only GB native to be declared a Doctor of the Church.

Bede's name in Japanese is "Beat," by the way. Clever localization, making his name change from a random English word that doesn't sound like a name into the name of a famous person from British history just by changing one sound.

Come to think of it, a lot of the English-language names in S/S sound really British even though the Japanese ones aren't at all.

I bet it was something like this:

Game Freak: We have no idea what names sound British so we are just going to make up a bunch of stuff that sounds good to us. Make them into something culturally appropriate, okay?
The Pokemon Company International: Don't worry, we got this.

@onewiththewheels My pleasure!

Also, I was thinking a little bit more about why none of the dialogue or anything from the Japanese videos are translated, since actually, I imagine it took way more time to completely re-compile the video for the English version than the amount it of time it would take to translate the Japanese text and edit it in there. (The translation itself would really not take very long, not even the wall of text about jobs.) So it's probably not that they didn't have time to translate it or were too lazy. However, if I were the translator translating that game, I would want to be able to translate the WHOLE game before making any of the dialogue official, so that after I finish, I could go back and tweak things as necessary to make sure the voices of the different characters (speech mannerisms and general style of speaking) are consistent throughout the game. I'm not sure if that's the way video game translation actually works, since I've never actually translated a game, but by not translating the dialog and so on in trailers, the translators don't have to either be pinned down to a specific translation and unable to change it or get flak from fans who notice a difference between how the dialogue was phrased in the promo videos and how it is phrased in the games.

Just speculation, but that might have something to do with it.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Nubushi said:

@AquilaTempestas

The Venerable Bede

An English saint, the Father of English History, and only GB native to be declared a Doctor of the Church.

Bede's name in Japanese is "Beat," by the way. Clever localization, making his name change from a random English word that doesn't sound like a name into the name of a famous person from British history just by changing one sound.

Come to think of it, a lot of the English-language names in S/S sound really British even though the Japanese ones aren't at all.

I bet it was something like this:

Game Freak: We have no idea what names sound British so we are just going to make up a bunch of stuff that sounds good to us. Make them into something culturally appropriate, okay?
The Pokemon Company International: Don't worry, we got this.

@onewiththewheels My pleasure!

Also, I was thinking a little bit more about why none of the dialogue or anything from the Japanese videos are translated, since actually, I imagine it took way more time to completely re-compile the video for the English version than the amount it of time it would take to translate the Japanese text and edit it in there. (The translation itself would really not take very long, not even the wall of text about jobs.) So it's probably not that they didn't have time to translate it or were too lazy. However, if I were the translator translating that game, I would want to be able to translate the WHOLE game before making any of the dialogue official, so that after I finish, I could go back and tweak things as necessary to make sure the voices of the different characters (speech mannerisms and general style of speaking) are consistent throughout the game. I'm not sure if that's the way video game translation actually works, since I've never actually translated a game, but by not translating the dialog and so on in trailers, the translators don't have to either be pinned down to a specific translation and unable to change it or get flak from fans who notice a difference between how the dialogue was phrased in the promo videos and how it is phrased in the games.

Just speculation, but that might have something to do with it.

Oh I know about the names already. Just saying he looked like an old woman at first glance because of the art design. I'm not feeling it. 

@onewiththewheels@AquilaTempestas@Sakura Alexia@Nubushi That trailer was good some surprises for me but also some stuff I knew was coming thanks to a confirmed rumor pretty much stating the new rivals, Team yell and potential evolutions for old Pokémon.......although it was not the Pokémon that I was expecting to be shown evolving which was good definitely made the zigzagoon line better.

Team Yell punk like football fans for sure not sure they will be tolerable for very long in this game I feel sorry for Marnie. Bede FINALLY A JERK RIVAL!! looks like Gamefreak is giving us a mixed experience with rivals an Overally happy on, an emotionless calculative type & a guy/woman you want to punch. Bede is very...feminine.

I still cant believe the weezing we got was exactly on point what I was hoping for in alola lol makes sense in this setting, Poison/Fairy type straight fire that type combination but can someone explain to me why weezing is not Poison/Fire given it has a smokestack on it's head lmfao :D

A new way to level up pc Mons thanks to Job is a good idea.

Overall was satisfied with what I got just hope the gap to the next trailer isn't to long think we need starter evo's next or maybe the evil legendary.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Lightningblade49 said:

@onewiththewheels@AquilaTempestas@Sakura Alexia@Nubushi That trailer was good some surprises for me but also some stuff I knew was coming thanks to a confirmed rumor pretty much stating the new rivals, Team yell and potential evolutions for old Pokémon.......although it was not the Pokémon that I was expecting to be shown evolving which was good definitely made the zigzagoon line better.

Team Yell punk like football fans for sure not sure they will be tolerable for very long in this game I feel sorry for Marnie. Bede FINALLY A JERK RIVAL!! looks like Gamefreak is giving us a mixed experience with rivals an Overally happy on, an emotionless calculative type & a guy/woman you want to punch. Bede is very...feminine.

I still cant believe the weezing we got was exactly on point what I was hoping for in alola lol makes sense in this setting, Poison/Fairy type straight fire that type combination.

A new way to level up pc Mons thanks to Job is a good idea.

Overall was satisfied with what I got just hope the gap to the next trailer isn't to long think we need starter evo's next or maybe the evil legendary.

I don't know if I can take Bede seriously even if he is a Silver/Blue type character. He just looks like an old lady lol.

3 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

I don't know if I can take Bede seriously even if he is a Silver/Blue type character. He just looks like an old lady lol.

Its funny because when I first heard the names in the leak I thought they'd be both girls and was still thinking that when I saw bede it was my thoughts till I looked online........wow.  If he is a tsundere prick of a rival.......dont be surprised if he wants your characters ass O.O

• Administrator

Anyone got a loose idea of what they want on their team? Based on what we know so far, here is what I want... 

Hydreigon

Charizard

The water starter 

That crow

Gengar

And some grass or electric type depending on what looks more appealing to me

Mimikyu

Cordinight

Zigagoon line

Weezing line

Sword and shield dogs  and third legendary 

Yamper line

Sobble line

Melmetal ( shiny, and via transfer if allowed)

Keep in mind I tend to switch my teams up a lot  and  this may not be in a single play through.  I’m also planning on using GTS and possibly a second version to the things that I  normally wouldn’t  be able to get.  National Dex or no, it seems like there’s going to be a lot of variety, so I am excited.  I might just bite the bullet and get Mew again,  since I had a lot of fun with it in let’s go.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, Nubushi said:

New rival Bede seems like the arrogant jerk type (good news for @Sakura Alexia!) and is going off about how League board members (of whom he is one) are more elite than the Champion. He also uses "boku" and falls into the polished pretty-boy villain type we see a lot in Japanese media, like Kuja from FFIX.

Quick correction: looked at that again, and Bede was chosen by the Chairman (to participate in the Gym Challenge, because you have to have a sponsor to do that), not chosen to be a board member (thanks, Japanese, for omitting grammatically important things like direct objects). Now his comment where he was spouting about how the Chairman is more powerful than the Champion makes sense--he was implying he is a better trainer than you because the Chairman endorsed him.

Will probably not be playing Sword/Shield anytime soon if at all, not due to hate for the new gen or anything like that but because I am focusing on playing the old games first (just finished Emerald, have not played DPP, B2W2 or any game newer than gen 5).

From what I have seen so far

Id go

Scorbunny - It's between him and Sobble leaning the jack rabbit on first impressions although sobble is cute and I would want to make it happy  :)

Wooloo - Wont keep it for a longhaul but for now from what I have seen it's in on principal, this sheep rolling is funny as shit. :D :D

Corviknight - The sickest looking bird pokemon I have seen makes Skarmory look like garbage.

Obstagoon - Talk about turning a mon I disliked into a beast of a thing through a change in design, although I will be honest I am 50/50 with this on my team until I see something better.

Alolan Weezing - Love the beard & smoke stack hat :) Plus Poison/Fairy is a great type combo.

Garchomp *if in game* - Just because this is my favorite Pokémon with Charizard and I don't want to use the fire lizard this time.

Team locks: Corviknight, Alolan Weezing, Garchomp

I have basically half my team locked in with whatever starter I decide on, wait and see I suppose with what is to come.

• Administrator

What do you think the storyline will be about based on what we know?

Here are my thoughts:

• Team Yell are fans of Marnie (totally obedient) and it's said they try to stop people from accessing gyms and transportation
  • Hop is your childhood friend who wants to be like his big brother, the Champion, Leon. I'm guessing he's going to be the Barry-type character. Happy. Friendly. But with a burning determination to step out of his brother's shadow. 
  • Sonia is the professor's granddaughter and also the friend of Leon. I'm wondering if she's his girlfriend? Or they just have a platonic friendship
  • Leon, the one everyone seems to love. I'm expecting a good-natured personality, but his appearance makes me wonder if he's going to be a bit arrogant and regal?
  • Chairman Rose I think is the true antagonist here. He's the big shot boss.
  • Bede is sponsored by the chairman. I wonder if Bede is trying to prove that the league is corrupt and discover more about the chairman's shady dealings?
  • Marnie is the one admired by Team Yell. I don't think she's a true antagonist though - more like a rival to your character (same as Bede) who is just using Team Yell.

So basically I'm hoping for a darker mature story line similar to that of Black and White 2. I think it'd be interesting if Sword and Shield is about big corrupt CEOs. Maybe Leon is like this poster boy for the league to cover up shady deals. Bede is probably this boy from a poor background who is sponsored by the chairman, but Bede thinks something is up so he wants to become Champion too to get inside the circle. Eh, something along those lines.

I imagine the game will be quite light though and will probably just be about some antagonistic team wanting to get their idol on the throne whilst your character has to put a stop to them. Maybe Leon is the true antagonist... Heh, that would be pretty cool.

@AquilaTempestas

There are many theories that Leon might actually be evil.  One of the leaks I saw said that Leon was using social media,  team Yell, and other means to  influence the public and ensure he would never lose.  Sonia also made it to the champion position, and the two are good friends.  However, she threw the match about realizing that he was more popular and would make a better leader.  Leon also possesses the third legendary of the game, and said third legendary supposedly has evil intentions.  Whether or not that legendary is truly evil or simply misguided  was not stated.  

It’s also explained that Leon is doing what he does not out of  any malice, but because having a champion and a leader requires that one never loses.  And since he’s the only one in a position to lead with the experience,  capability,  and power to do so, he just has to make sure he never loses because there’s no guarantee his successor will be able to  truly take his place.  I’m not sure how credible this leak is, but it’s also guessed many things right. It would be interesting if it’s all true, especially since sun and moon  really  started tearing aspects of the Pokémon world apart ( although the Unova games also did this to an extent).  It would really  give the first official in-depth  look of what it really means to be a champion,  and  the flaws of the system itself.   It would also be interesting because this one imply that the player may not become the champion, even if they beat the previous one, because they wouldn’t be suitable to lead just with power alone. 

On the subject of jerk rivals that  has been coming up, the main problem is that there’s not much one can do with them.  The only options are understanding the damage they are doing and working to reform ( Silver, Blue  to a lesser extent),  being controlled or heavily influenced by someone else (N, Gladion,  even if they aren’t officially classified as rivals)  or never giving up their ways and becoming a  complete villain without looking back ( no one officially yet,  although there are a massive amount of fan projects that do this).

Compare this to, say,  The different motivations and personalities of friendly rivals.   For example, Bianca’s story  had her realize she wasn’t very strong as a battler, but her talents lie elsewhere. Once she accepted that, she was completely happy.  And then there’s Hau,  who wants to enjoy his journey but also wants to be stronger than his grandfather and not be in his shadow.  By the end of both Alola games,  he succeeds and is at the level of the champion.  Even lesser developed rivals like Trace and Brendan/May  had their own unique  motives and developments.  Things like that wouldn’t of worked if they were simply jerk rivals. 

But if I had to have a jerk rival in a Pokémon game, I’d pick the third option. It would be interesting, but writers would have to be careful making it so it’s not dark to the point where it  feels like it has no place in a Pokémon game ( unfortunately, many fan projects also have this issue). The Alola games  could have had an excellent example in Lillie and Gladion (  especially if the former had become a trainer).   However, that didn’t happen, there was a massive missed opportunity, and the story in those games was a mess. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas

There are many theories that Leon might actually be evil.  One of the leaks I saw said that Leon was using social media,  team Yell, and other means to  influence the public and ensure he would never lose.  Sonia also made it to the champion position, and the two are good friends.  However, she threw the match about realizing that he was more popular and would make a better leader.  Leon also possesses the third legendary of the game, and said third legendary supposedly has evil intentions.  Whether or not that legendary is truly evil or simply misguided  was not stated.  

It’s also explained that Leon is doing what he does not out of  any malice, but because having a champion and a leader requires that one never loses.  And since he’s the only one in a position to lead with the experience,  capability,  and power to do so, he just has to make sure he never loses because there’s no guarantee his successor will be able to  truly take his place.  I’m not sure how credible this leak is, but it’s also guessed many things right. It would be interesting if it’s all true, especially since sun and moon  really  started tearing aspects of the Pokémon world apart ( although the Unova games also did this to an extent).  It would really  give the first official in-depth  look of what it really means to be a champion,  and  the flaws of the system itself.   It would also be interesting because this one imply that the player may not become the champion, even if they beat the previous one, because they wouldn’t be suitable to lead just with power alone. 

On the subject of jerk rivals that  has been coming up, the main problem is that there’s not much one can do with them.  The only options are understanding the damage they are doing and working to reform ( Silver, Blue  to a lesser extent),  being controlled or heavily influenced by someone else (N, Gladion,  even if they aren’t officially classified as rivals)  or never giving up their ways and becoming a  complete villain without looking back ( no one officially yet,  although there are a massive amount of fan projects that do this).

Compare this to, say,  The different motivations and personalities of friendly rivals.   For example, Bianca’s story  had her realize she wasn’t very strong as a battler, but her talents lie elsewhere. Once she accepted that, she was completely happy.  And then there’s Hau,  who wants to enjoy his journey but also wants to be stronger than his grandfather and not be in his shadow.  By the end of both Alola games,  he succeeds and is at the level of the champion.  Even lesser developed rivals like Trace and Brendan/May  had their own unique  motives and developments.  Things like that wouldn’t of worked if they were simply jerk rivals. 

But if I had to have a jerk rival in a Pokémon game, I’d pick the third option. It would be interesting, but writers would have to be careful making it so it’s not dark to the point where it  feels like it has no place in a Pokémon game ( unfortunately, many fan projects also have this issue). The Alola games  could have had an excellent example in Lillie and Gladion (  especially if the former had become a trainer).   However, that didn’t happen, there was a massive missed opportunity, and the story in those games was a mess. 

That would be interesting. Kinda like how many people today, especially younger people, can't cope with the pressures of being famous. Absolute power corrupts absolutely? Though your character refused the title in earlier games. 

On the topic of jerk rivals, I read recently GameFreak don't want to do jerm rivals anymore because they don't want to hurt the feelings of younger people. 

@AquilaTempestas

I think it’s more of the culture clash between Japan and the west, or even other countries in general.  In Japan, silver wasn’t  particularly well received even though his games were.  There’s also the fact that friendship and working together is much more popular in Japan than it is in the west or even other countries.  So while the west prefers someone like silver, Japan  particularly doesn’t.  And since the games are made in Japan, that  influences what’s in them. At least according to something I read a few years ago about rivals.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.