Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Game-Specific
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

Pokemon Sword & Shield

So, E3  came on earlier today.  There is some new info, such as a water type gym leader, Nessa,  and two new Pokémon. 

The biggest piece of info is that, at the present, Pokémon not in the  regional Dex cannot be transferred to  Pokémon sword and shield through Pokémon Home.  These Pokémon will still be able to be stored in Pokemon home, however. 

It’s not known if these Pokémon still exist in the game’s data, if what was said was a translation error,  or if these Pokémon will be patched in at a later date.  Mechanics such as mega evolution and Z crystals are also gone, in favor of the new mechanic, Dynamax.

If what is said about the missing Pokémon turns out to be true  by the time of the game’s release,  I can’t say I agree with what happened, but I understand why it did. There is currently around 1000 Pokémon that are being made ( or at least probably will be around that by the time of the games’ release).  At some point, coding that many monsters and making them usable in a single game just becomes unfeasible.  And unfortunately, there is a chance Pokémon has finally reached the point.  It sucks for all of those using transfer a lot, like competitive players. However, I feel like the series had it coming for a while, and I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. Granted, there still a chance things could change, and the fact that these Pokémon are still available in Pokémon Home makes me think there will be something  happening in the future.  But for now there’s a massive backdraft among fans, and I don’t blame them. 

Just thought I would post this. It’s a video about the animations for every  main game, including what it takes to make them. It also has insights on what we know about sword and shield’s footage, minus what was revealed at E3.  It really puts into perspective  what it takes to just make the animations in the games, and why gamefreak chose what to do what they did. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree.

Yeah

Pokemon Sword & Shield Wishlist:

1. Starter Evolutions:

Grookey: Grass/Dark or Grass/Fiary 

Scorbunny: Fire/Steel, Fire/Electric, Fire/Fairy or Fire/Fighting (sorry, couldn't help it)

Sobble: Water/Ghost or Water/Psychic

2. Third Legednary Pokemon (you know, the evil one they saying been on "leaks") and new legendaries.

3. Kabu, one of the Gym Leaders is Rock or Ground?

4. Evil Team Return

5. Region variants & new evolutions

6. More Dark/Fairy type Pokemon

7. Reveal of the other rival (the mean one) (the one who chooses the starter strong against yours and be part of the evil team)

8. Return of old characters in the new games

9. Old legendaries return 

10. Dark type Gym leader or trainer

#TeamSobble

The next trailer for Pokémon Sword and Shield had dropped:

My thoughts on the trailer:

-I love the fact that the gym battles seem to take place in loaded stadiums. With the anime usually doing a good job showing off the intensity of these type of battles, It's refreshing to see that finally make its way into the main games.

I'm not too keen on version exclusive Gym Leaders, though, mainly because I like to battle everyone. Although with the previous generation having them (either Kaiiwe or Mallow being able to be battled in a sidequest depending on the game in the original Sun and Moon, and Nanu choosing whether or not the battle the player in Mina’s trial in the Ultra versions), the fact that that they are there comes as no surprise. Interesting that the Ghost Type Gym Leader uses a Mimikyu when that line is more closely associated with Acerola (who strangely enough, didn't battle with a Mimikyu in any of her appearances). Also the gym leader looks a lot like the puppet masters and the mysterious figures from the fan project Pokémon Rejuvenation… That makes him look really creepy to me…

-I might be in the minority on this, but I really love Dynamax and what was shown here just reinforces my feelings. With the addition of Gigamaxing, the powers of Z-moves and Mega Evolution are truly combined into one. It really makes things more streamlined, and also makes it so that the player does not have to constantly search around for a massive amount of collectibles (on top of whatever collectibles the new feature has) or have them all inexplicably shoved in at the end of the game. I also have to wonder how this will work for Pokémon that already received significant boosts in power from the previous features (such as Mimikyu and Lucario). I have a feeling there will be something to replace them…

The new Pokémon look nice, but I was hoping for something more intimidating or majestic. Of course, almost all the look like first forms, so there could be something like that further on.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I see a Japanese pun there. It won't actually be funny after having to read an explanation, but . . .

てってい (tettei) means "thoroughly," or when it is turned into a verb means "to do something to the hilt" (which is probably where they got the English "do or die").

てつ (tetsu), the word for "steel," gets shortened to てっ (tett) in some compound words.

So, the name is sort of like steel-to-the-hilt-beam or steel-all-the-way-beam.

Pretty cool name, honestly!

Getting both...I admit I am a bit disappointed but the whole point of getting the switch a year ago was for this game that was planned so we'll see.

I will say this though it's very obvious gamefreak is getting lazy or cant be f'd to get extra help they need.....

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Lightningblade49 said:

Getting both...I admit I am a bit disappointed but the whole point of getting the switch a year ago was for this game that was planned so we'll see.

I will say this though it's very obvious gamefreak is getting lazy or cant be f'd to get extra help they need.....

What disappoints you? 

I kinda feel like they are trying to cater to a wider demographic of people.

20 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

What disappoints you? 

I kinda feel like they are trying to cater to a wider demographic of people.

I was expecting more of an upgrade not just reusing the same crap from sun and moon, you realize the new rival Hop has the exact same animations as Hao and also the Pokémon models are identical to sun & moon and being reused despite what bullshit gamefreak so say. The NPC's in the over world both human and pokemon as so static it's pathetic I thought the npcs would have there own animations at this point -_- , if you look online there have been MANY animators by themselves making much better walk animations in less then an hour with ease it was very eye opening.

Also the wild area.................................concept is good wont deny that we have been waiting forever for it but I REALLY hope they improve on the textures of the the grass tree's water etc.......I watched the trailer for the wild area you know there is no splash animation for the water at all and when the mantine jump out of the water the animation is in MID AIR!! LMFAO!!! WTF.

Its so subpar when you compare it to there new project Town......my god the visuals are great I suppose that's what you get when you move your whole senior staff on that project leaving the newbies with pokemon.......but that's ok in a few years it will be pokemon on the phone every year and gamefreak will loose complete relevance.

Not going to say shit about national dex there has been enough venting online for me not to bother covering gamefreaks pathetic attempts to justify it they have the models lol it's already fact.

I will say this though despite all these negative things I really REALLY hope it's a good game like they have promised Good story, lots of game and a good post game......if I get those three I will be ok with all this despite my annoyance.

From the looks of it the story  looks like it will be good and I like all the new mons, wild area I hope visually gets better but looking forward to finally being able to do what the hell I want even if in a small area. Hopefully whatever other surprises that come do make up for all its faults.

I think this has been my first pokemon posting venting on the new game, sorry just had to say it there is too much proof gamefreak don't care as much and want to spend as little money possible to gain more revenue because they know we will buy it.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Lightningblade49 said:

I was expecting more of an upgrade not just reusing the same crap from sun and moon, you realize the new rival Hop has the exact same animations as Hao and also the Pokémon models are identical to sun & moon and being reused despite what bullshit gamefreak so say. The NPC's in the over world both human and pokemon as so static it's pathetic I thought the npcs would have there own animations at this point -_- , if you look online there have been MANY animators by themselves making much better walk animations in less then an hour with ease it was very eye opening.

Also the wild area.................................concept is good wont deny that we have been waiting forever for it but I REALLY hope they improve on the textures of the the grass tree's water etc.......I watched the trailer for the wild area you know there is no splash animation for the water at all and when the mantine jump out of the water the animation is in MID AIR!! LMFAO!!! WTF.

Its so subpar when you compare it to there new project Town......my god the visuals are great I suppose that's what you get when you move your whole senior staff on that project leaving the newbies with pokemon.......but that's ok in a few years it will be pokemon on the phone every year and gamefreak will loose complete relevance.

Not going to say shit about national dex there has been enough venting online for me not to bother covering gamefreaks pathetic attempts to justify it they have the models lol it's already fact.

I will say this though despite all these negative things I really REALLY hope it's a good game like they have promised Good story, lots of game and a good post game......if I get those three I will be ok with all this despite my annoyance.

From the looks of it the story  looks like it will be good and I like all the new mons, wild area I hope visually gets better but looking forward to finally being able to do what the hell I want even if in a small area. Hopefully whatever other surprises that come do make up for all its faults.

I think this has been my first pokemon posting venting on the new game, sorry just had to say it there is too much proof gamefreak don't care as much and want to spend as little money possible to gain more revenue because they know we will buy it.

Nah, totally understandable. I've got my doubts myself after the disappointing Sun and Moon and Let's Go wasn't that stellar either despite upgraded visuals and quality of life improvements.

For me personally, I don't think Pokemon have had a good story since Black and White - Ghetsis was an amazing villain, and the Plasma grunts didn't seem as dumb as the rest of the other team grunts. Team Skull was just.... laughable. Team Flare had no personality. Blegh. I'm assuming the new rival will have a story about wanting to step out of his brother's shadow and the like. I hope he's a jerk. Although I do like the friendly rivals (I liked Barry), I miss the asshole rivals like Blue and Silver - I really wanted to do better than them.

I hope there's a bigger emphasis on choices (even insulting NPCs or flirting with them haha), but I don't think they're gonna stray too far from the formula that's made them lots of money throughout the past two decades. I would love a Pokemon game styled like Skyim/Dragon Age etc. I do hope we get to be an actual Champion and have people recognize that and want to challenge you. I believe there was something like this in Sun and Moon.

But what I really want is a strong, intimidating villain like Ghetsis. That guy gave me so much trouble. Cyrus was tough too (for my team anyway). But back to Ghetsis. He was batshit insane and evil to the core. I loved that. Bring back the darkness, GameFreak! And please bring back something like White Tower and Black Forest.

Thing is, they don't need to put too much effort into new games, because its Pokemon and people will buy it anyways, its one of the most famous video games, its easy money for them.

I feel like Game Freak is getting less and less interested in the franchise that literally kept them alive, they're sending it to its doom instead of saving it. I felt the same with the Ultra games, Sun and Moon didn't need a sequel that was exactly the same but focused a little, (just a little) on Necrozma, why didn't they add an actual post-game for that in the original games? There's literally nothing to do after you beat the league and catch the Ultra Beasts, which are absolutely and stupid easy to aquire, something like episode Delta of ORAS would have been great. The only thing the sequels brought were a slight increase in difficulty, and a very little bit more of story.

Also, considering the game is not on 3DS anymore, but rather on the Switch, I expected way more graphically wise, the engine is way more powerful, why not use its capabilities to the max then? I get it they want to keep the cartoonish aestetic, but it could have been done so much better.

Friendly rivals honestly are just a nuisance, why would anyone be so overly friendly towards you? It annoys me more than an actual jerk character, they just don't exist, they're the most fake thing there is, anger doesn't even seem a thing that exists in them.

Same with evil team leaders, I did like Lusamine, but she wasn't quite an evil character but more like a victim of a series of events, and I was very disappointed to not see more of her and her family's story, there's just a few hints here and there you have to piece together, and even so you still have to theorize things. Guzma was a laughable matter, so stupid ugh... just the classic boy who wants to be a rebel. back in gen 6 Lysandre was absolutely bleak and non existent, I even forgot of Team Flare at some point. We need more villains like Cyrus and Ghetsis, someone to fear, someone actually determined to achieve his goal at all costs.

Also seems like they want at all costs an audience of kids, when in fact the most players are at least teenagers and older, we would appreciate an actual mature story, with well developed characters, because none are developed at all as of this day, and an actual challenge. They are just pushing us veterans away, its not how you do it. Maybe Game Freak needs to learn and start loving its community more than this. Its just all a big disappointment.

20 hours ago, Sakura Alexia said:

Thing is, they don't need to put too much effort into new games, because its Pokemon and people will buy it anyways, its one of the most famous video games, its easy money for them.

I feel like Game Freak is getting less and less interested in the franchise that literally kept them alive, they're sending it to its doom instead of saving it. I felt the same with the Ultra games, Sun and Moon didn't need a sequel that was exactly the same but focused a little, (just a little) on Necrozma, why didn't they add an actual post-game for that in the original games? There's literally nothing to do after you beat the league and catch the Ultra Beasts, which are absolutely and stupid easy to aquire, something like episode Delta of ORAS would have been great. The only thing the sequels brought were a slight increase in difficulty, and a very little bit more of story.

Also, considering the game is not on 3DS anymore, but rather on the Switch, I expected way more graphically wise, the engine is way more powerful, why not use its capabilities to the max then? I get it they want to keep the cartoonish aestetic, but it could have been done so much better.

Friendly rivals honestly are just a nuisance, why would anyone be so overly friendly towards you? It annoys me more than an actual jerk character, they just don't exist, they're the most fake thing there is, anger doesn't even seem a thing that exists in them.

Same with evil team leaders, I did like Lusamine, but she wasn't quite an evil character but more like a victim of a series of events, and I was very disappointed to not see more of her and her family's story, there's just a few hints here and there you have to piece together, and even so you still have to theorize things. Guzma was a laughable matter, so stupid ugh... just the classic boy who wants to be a rebel. back in gen 6 Lysandre was absolutely bleak and non existent, I even forgot of Team Flare at some point. We need more villains like Cyrus and Ghetsis, someone to fear, someone actually determined to achieve his goal at all costs.

Also seems like they want at all costs an audience of kids, when in fact the most players are at least teenagers and older, we would appreciate an actual mature story, with well developed characters, because none are developed at all as of this day, and an actual challenge. They are just pushing us veterans away, its not how you do it. Maybe Game Freak needs to learn and start loving its community more than this. Its just all a big disappointment.

You know what's funny they made this game specifically of the vet players that's what they said I am really hoping the rumour about the gyms scaling to the trainer is true to make it more interesting battle wise. On the fence with dynamax it still looks like a nuke despite it only lasting a few turns.

21 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Nah, totally understandable. I've got my doubts myself after the disappointing Sun and Moon and Let's Go wasn't that stellar either despite upgraded visuals and quality of life improvements.

For me personally, I don't think Pokemon have had a good story since Black and White - Ghetsis was an amazing villain, and the Plasma grunts didn't seem as dumb as the rest of the other team grunts. Team Skull was just.... laughable. Team Flare had no personality. Blegh. I'm assuming the new rival will have a story about wanting to step out of his brother's shadow and the like. I hope he's a jerk. Although I do like the friendly rivals (I liked Barry), I miss the asshole rivals like Blue and Silver - I really wanted to do better than them.

I hope there's a bigger emphasis on choices (even insulting NPCs or flirting with them haha), but I don't think they're gonna stray too far from the formula that's made them lots of money throughout the past two decades. I would love a Pokemon game styled like Skyim/Dragon Age etc. I do hope we get to be an actual Champion and have people recognize that and want to challenge you. I believe there was something like this in Sun and Moon.

But what I really want is a strong, intimidating villain like Ghetsis. That guy gave me so much trouble. Cyrus was tough too (for my team anyway). But back to Ghetsis. He was batshit insane and evil to the core. I loved that. Bring back the darkness, GameFreak! And please bring back something like White Tower and Black Forest.

I agree team plasma & Galactic in particular made those games better then what they were and a GOOD rival that is interesting only adds to the experience.

Didn't personally like black & white much but that was mainly because of the graphics I really did not like them especially the battling animations, but that length of game would be great gamefreak.

Still think Heart Gold Soul Silver and maybe Platnum were the best games they made and they had a lot less hardware quality they have now.

The Confirmed rumour online have a lot of things about the game I like including stuff yet to come. A true evil Legendary in Eternatus sounds fun, plus multiple rivals not just this idiot HOP so potential for maybe both bad and a nice rivals. wont spoil anymore but these at least sound good although the evil team sounds meh to be honest.

The reason the rumor I mentioned its confirmed because it shown stuff in multiple trailers 100% correct, Gigantamax I've kown for months before that trailer lol.

26 minutes ago, Lightningblade49 said:

@AquilaTempestas @Sakura Alexia @onewiththewheels Just realized for the first time in years I actually want to check out the future anime, just the thought of giant mons remind me of season 1.

Could be the reason why they were added in the first place, nostalgia factor, another thing they are playing too much on, I've been sick of seeing references to gen 1 games these years, as if none other exists.

1 minute ago, Lightningblade49 said:

@Sakura AlexiaThere has been a lot of gen 1 pandering to be honest but  I think its to do with bring in the new gen audience through Pokémon go & let's go for these games.

Maybe, but we can't deny there's a lot of people that only care about gen 1 and none other.

I am very sick of it, its been everywhere since gen 6 with X and Y, where every other Pokemon that wasn't from Kalos was of Kanto, they even had the starters, since then there has been a gen 1 invasion in all games, which reached its peak with the Let's Go games.

1 minute ago, Sakura Alexia said:

Maybe, but we can't deny there's a lot of people that only care about gen 1 and none other.

I am very sick of it, its been everywhere since gen 6 with X and Y, where every other Pokemon that wasn't from Kalos was of Kanto, they even had the starters, since then there has been a gen 1 invasion in all games, which reached its peak with the Let's Go games.

I have wanted gen 4 remakes for years of even heart gold Soul silver but I know if they remake johto there is no way gamefreak will include kanto and that upsets me a lot.

Pretty sure one of these two are next anyway please not a let's go johto please...........

@Lightningblade49 @Sakura Alexia

I honestly wouldn't mind a Let's Go Johto, as someone that really likedsPokémon go, but lives in a bad area for it (rural, can’t drive, and can't walk long distances, not to mention my service currently is not the best). It really allowed me to experience the game without any limitations that are beyond my control. And I also wouldn't mind Kanto not appearing. A lot of Johto felt empty and rushed, even in the remakes, and I can't help but wonder if that was because of Kanto having to share space with it. Let's Go did a wonderful job of fleshing out Kanto and fixing areas that have issues, so I'm eager to see what it can do with Johto. I'm not sure what Pokémon they would use for Johto, though. Popular fan theories are Togepi and Marril, but neither of those Pokémon are very good without things from later generations.

As for generation one in other games, it really doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is older fans expecting the games to be tailored to them (mainly thinking of Dexit, but also complaints on difficulty when challenge runs, battle facilities, online battling, and even fan made creations exist). People fail to realize that if a series does not attract newer fans constantly, it will eventually die. So of course the Pokémon company has to make games though bringing newer fans, because the older ones will typically buy no matter what. I might be in the minority, though.

As for the new anime season, I'm interested as well. I almost got interested in generation seven, but the idea of Ash going to school and the emphasis on humor seemed odd to me. But on another topic involving Ash, does anyone else get annoyed when people make smarter Ash fanfics (or other fan projects)? It usually involves a massive change of his personality, and at that point it is not Ash, but someone else that has his name and face. I feel like Ash's problem is not that he isn't smart, but rather his personality needs to be explored more (e.g. a bit more consequences for his actions, or reasoning behind his bad or reckless decisions). The Pokémon anime being what it is, it's unlikely this will ever be seen officially, but I feel like that’s something fan projects can focus on instead of changing his character completely.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.