Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Game-Specific
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

Pokemon Sword & Shield

• Administrator

Well just as the title says. There's a new RPG game for Pokemon the Switch to be released later this year.

What do you think it will be like?

What do you hope to see?

EDIT - Game is now called Sword & Shield and due later this year for the Switch.

-I'm hoping the place will be based off of Spain or Latin America, because I love Spanish-speaking countries. I wonder if something sci-fi will happen and it will be based off of an Antarctica that became inhabitable when all the ice melted... It's a stretch, but I can dream...

-At least 100 new Pokémon. Not Megas, not Alolan forms, or not any other type of gimmicks, at least 100 brand-new lines of Pokémon, part of the fun of new generations is going and catching all the new creatures that come with it, but as less come with each, that loses its appeal...

-Return of difficulty modes, and not with the bizarre unlocking requirements Black and White 2 had

-Making the games darker in some way. It doesn't have to be death and destruction, but I really want them to explore the unfortunate implications of such a world. Black/White and Sun/Moon tried to do this, but still they really go to in depth and a lot of it was left to player interpretation (which could still be radically different). On top of that, make the player be in some sort of real danger and make it so that the evil teams really are the terrorist organizations they are hyped up to be. The Mystery Dungeon series, Pokémon Trading Card Game 2, and Pokémon Colosseum did a good job of this, but I've really yet to see it in any main series game.

-On top of that, make the evil team and someone close to the player switch places. By that I mean, have someone close to the player betray them, and have the evil team not turn out to be evil at all. N doesn't really count for this, because he was more of a rival character, and was clearly being manipulated. Sun and Moon had a great opportunity with Gladion and Lillie, but missed that entirely. It would've been a lot more convincing than what we got...

-Bring back darker rivals. Silver's story always fascinated me as a child, and to this day he still stands out. I would love to see something like that again, instead of the same type of rival over and over...

Someone suggested that Genius Sorority make the next Pokémon games... Considering how different the games they made were from the traditional plot line, while at the same time keeping the core formula, I think that would be interesting... But it's doubtful we will see another game from them...

• Administrator

Here's what I'd like to see happen 

• You're 18. 10 just seems way too young for this dark and dangerous world. So you're legally an adult now.
  • Open world game following many of the big popular titles of the past few years
  • RPG mechanics similar to BioWare games. You get to choose your path. Your decisions affect the end game. You can be evil or good. You can start a relationship with a male/female character (Gary Oak please). You can make or break friendships.
  • Hunting mechanic revised to fit the pokemon world. So instead of killing pokemon for parts, you make pokemon faint for XP. 
  • You start with one pokemon. This pokemon must be one of the starters from the core generations but no Pikachu or Eevee.
  • The region is a New Zealand type place. So you'll have snow. Volcanoes. Earthquakes. Fjords. Islands. Rugged terrain. Beautiful lakes and forests.
  • Legendary pokemon are bosses that you must defeat. They can't be captured but they give your character a powerful item.
  • Should you choose to follow the evil path, you can make allies with a single antagonist faction (so like join Rocket, Galactic etc), but this will put you at odds against other bad gangs and the good guys. The evil path will eventually see you becoming the new big bad. You can't start a relationship with one of the bosses.
  • Should you choose to follow the good path, you'll work with the champions to shut down the enemy gangs and bosses. The good path will see you become the new champion the world needs. And yes, you can start a relationship with one of the champions if you want to, but other NPCs will either react positively or negatively to this.

@AquilaTempestas

I think a lot of what you mention would just benefit from more fleshing out of the Pokémon lore overall. For example, 10 years old is apparently a longtime tradition, But it would seem a strange if the world was explained more. For example, there might be a lot of classes or tests a Pokémon trainer has to take before they can go on their journeys, or some sort of laws protecting them... It would make what happened to the world Make more sense, without taking away from the overall tone of what Pokémon is, but since we never get that information, it just seems out of nowhere...

Open world doesn't really work well for Pokémon because it comes at the expense of plot and lore. Pokémon Go is a prime example of this, But there's also the hack Pokémon Crystal Clear that tried open world and had major problems. Read my review if you're interested.

I enjoy using legendary Pokémon in my teams and love the reward of having their power. Not to mention a lot of competitive players feel the same way...This could also benefit from more world building, such is the idea that the gods of the Pokémon world are seeing the player worthy of their strength, instead of just enslaving them like it often seems... Sinnoh seems to imply the former, but good luck getting the scene that explains that information... It's never brought up again either...

I'm not familiar with hunting mechanics, so I'm not sure how that would work. Mechanics I would like to see are those in Pokémon Tournament DX, where Pokémon fought each other In traditional fighting game battles, rather than turn-based... With 800 and counting Pokémon, though, that be too hard to implement...

The ability to side with an evil team would be cool, but it would also be disturbing, because then you would have to justify terrorism... I can't imagine many people staying on that path... There was a hack called Pokémon Zeta and Omicron that did this, and it was every bit as unsettling as one might expect... As for multiple starter choices,  the hacks Pokémon Reborn and Rejuvenation have done this. The trade-off is the two are some of the most difficult Pokémon hacks ever made... 

Romance is in Pokémon is a bit odd, and I feel like it doesn't really fit in the game... Some sort of relationship values would be interesting though, especially with the introduction of dialogue choices...

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas

I think a lot of what you mention would just benefit from more fleshing out of the Pokémon lore overall. For example, 10 years old is apparently a longtime tradition, But it would seem a strange if the world was explained more. For example, there might be a lot of classes or tests a Pokémon trainer has to take before they can go on their journeys, or some sort of laws protecting them... It would make what happened to the world Make more sense, without taking away from the overall tone of what Pokémon is, but since we never get that information, it just seems out of nowhere...

Open world doesn't really work well for Pokémon because it comes at the expense of plot and lore. Pokémon Go is a prime example of this, But there's also the hack Pokémon Crystal Clear that tried open world and had major problems. Read my review if you're interested.

I enjoy using legendary Pokémon in my teams and love the reward of having their power. Not to mention a lot of competitive players feel the same way...This could also benefit from more world building, such is the idea that the gods of the Pokémon world are seeing the player worthy of their strength, instead of just enslaving them like it often seems... Sinnoh seems to imply the former, but good luck getting the scene that explains that information... It's never brought up again either...

I'm not familiar with hunting mechanics, so I'm not sure how that would work. Mechanics I would like to see are those in Pokémon Tournament DX, where Pokémon fought each other In traditional fighting game battles, rather than turn-based... With 800 and counting Pokémon, though, that be too hard to implement...

The ability to side with an evil team would be cool, but it would also be disturbing, because then you would have to justify terrorism... I can't imagine many people staying on that path... There was a hack called Pokémon Zeta and Omicron that did this, and it was every bit as unsettling as one might expect... As for multiple starter choices,  the hacks Pokémon Reborn and Rejuvenation have done this. The trade-off is the two are some of the most difficult Pokémon hacks ever made... 

Romance is in Pokémon is a bit odd, and I feel like it doesn't really fit in the game... Some sort of relationship values would be interesting though, especially with the introduction of dialogue choices...

Yeah, I'm just heavily influenced by big open world games that we have today lol. I think it would be pretty cool and there'd be a huge market for it. Open world games are all the rage right now with all the big companies doing it. Just imagine a massive world like Assassins Creed but a Pokemon version of it. That's my dream. 

Going down an evil path is actually pretty popular in open world games. It gives you a chance to roleplay as a complete total asshole and it is hilarious fun. But I like roleplaying as villains. It's stuff I would never do nor support in real life, but it's fun to explore it in a game where there are no consequences. Romance would be cool I think. I mean there are obviously relationships in Pokemon. If the character is 10 years old though it's the last thing on their mind. But I just want a game where you can romance/seduce Gary Oak hahahaha. That would be hilarious.

But yeah my version would be something like Skyrim, Dragon Age, Assassin Creed games and GTA/Red Dead type worlds. I don't know if you've played any of those games before, but a pokemon version would be amazing. I've seen these idea proposed on several reddit threads over the years.

@AquilaTempestas

I have heard of them, but I've never played them. I've actually been meaning to watch footage of Skyrim, because it sounds interesting. And I know it recently got a switch release.

Another thing  that I would like is the return of a Battle  frontier.  What Emerald and Platium  did was really cool,  and the stadium games are also enjoyable.  Black-and white 2 was at least interesting with all the cameos,  even if the battle format was still normal.  And the characters in those places were just as  memorable as the main cast.   Sadly, it's unlikely we will ever see this again,  as it's a lot of time and resources into something most people will never use...

On that note, if new battle formats are introduced,  make them be used in the main story rather than in optional areas that most players will not access. That gives them more  relevance, and makes players  have to learn about the different formats in order to do well.  But most are just given one or two battles in the story  and then never seen again. Poor inverse battles don't even get that...  I mean, I'm playing a hack that will throw triple battles at you  on regular trainers and without warning.  And some of them are important fights.  So really requires knowledge of how triple battles work  in order to truly progress...  it's just a shame that the  mean games don't do this, when new battle formats are often heavily advertised...

Make the elite four  and gym leaders actually interact with the world.  Pokémon black and white and sun and moon did this, but there were still missed opportunities (Kahili and more on caitlin's past,  for example).  For all we know, they just sit in their government positions doing nothing, but since they run the region, that can't be the case...

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

So turns out we're getting a major announcement on nintendo direct today (well that would be 12PM at night my time).

No spoilers please until the announcement has officially passed. Let's all get excited!

@Lightningblade49  @VectorLogic @Nirianne @Aiko Isari @Wizarmonfan  @Sakura Alexia @Lil' Solar-Bunny @onewiththewheels @Nocturna

The fire bunny reminds me of the main character in the Nintendo 3DS game badge arcade.  Since I love that game to death, I can't wait to get my hands on the fire bunny.  And I'm glad to see that those waiting for Britain finally got the equivalent in the Pokémon world. 

I'm hoping the story will be better this time, because although the previous entries tried, Sun and Moon  really could've been done better, and Ultra's was just a mess.  I'm hoping will get some equivalent to the Battle Frontier,  since the Switch can hopefully run the games better.

I'm a bit meh on this one, I can't figure out if I'd buy it yet, particularly since I'll need to get a Switch too if I did.

The starters don't look convincing to me either, maybe the green monkey, but I don't know for now, I'll just limit myself to wait for more information to be released.

Plus, the Galar region looks pretty good. I've watched a vid from Arekkz Gaming, and he said it looks somewhat similar to the United Kingdom. Makes sense because there was a shot of a building that looks similar to Big Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Man, everyone's going crazy for Pokemon Sword & Shield with all of the rumors and Game Freak still haven't released any real news. I don't want to wait for updates every end of the month. It's been 3 weeks since the trailer came out Wednesday February 27, so they should just give us weekly updates every Wednesday. The only info is the starters, region and gym masters (I really want to see a dark type Gym leader. Heck, I even made my own team).

And Sunand Moon and the sequels, there were a lot of missing things, especially with the elite four, they fixed it a little with the ultra sequels with steel but this should have been the elite four: Steel, Ghost (different trainer, Flying and Ice (I mean, come on, the Pokemon league is on a ice mountain, the last member should have been an ice type trainer).

My predictions of the starter evolutions:

Grass/Fighting or Grass/Steel

Fire/Fairy, Fire/Electric or Fire/Steel

Water/Ghost, Water/Poison or Water/Dragon

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

I'm hoping for some trippy combinations. I really wish the other pokemon games would be compatible with the switch : ( I want to play Ultra Moon again.

Fire/Dark

Water/Dragon

Grass/Electric

So a business strategy meeting involving major Pokémon news has just aired. A couple of takeaways:

-One way transfer from all games to Sword and Shield has been confirmed. This includes Pokémon currently in Pokémon Bank, Pokémon go, and the Let's Go games. Transfer is done through something called Pokémon Home, which will release in early 2020. Hopefully they have the sense not to release it around Christmas this time…

-An app called Pokémon Sleep will be released for mobile devices. This tracks the user’s time sleeping to enhance gameplay experiences. At this point, it's unknown exactly how, and if it will affect Pokémon Sword and Shield. Pokémon Go Plus + will also be released to connect with Pokémon Go and Pokémon Sleep.

-Pokémon Detective Pikachu is getting a sequel on the Switch. This will apparently lead to the story's conclusion, and it will be different than the film that was released earlier this year. It's unknown if this will tie into Sword and Shield at all.

-Pokémon Masters is announced as being in development, and is a mobile game. It is the first feature characters from the main series, and several of them battle. This is the same game that was talked about earlier this year. It's unknown if it will have any effect on the main games at all

So what are your thoughts?

I find the idea of Pokémon Sleep hilarious and interesting, and I'm wondering how exactly it will work. I'm particularly interested because I happen to be a restless sleeper, so I'm wondering how it would calculate that.

Pokémon home seems to be the successor to Pokémon bank, and I'm really hoping there's the ability to add more boxes this time. For anyone who's doing a Living Pokedex, or simply has a lot of Pokémon to store, those boxes add up quickly. I'm also hoping they add a better way to keep track of subscriptions, because without an external calendar of some sort, it is to forget and lose everything (thankfully, I am the type that keeps external calendars, but I know quite a few unfortunate players who didn't and lost a lot). Failing that, there should be some sort of auto renewal. I wonder what will happen to Pokémon Bank, though, and if it will eventually be shut down…

-Even though the concept of Pokémon Masters sounds interesting, I'm a bit wary of it. I'm not sure how it will get past antigambling laws considering track records with mobile gaming. Furthermore, Pokémon's other mobile games, while being solid games, have not traditionally done well. From what I've heard, the game looks like it will be a gacha. The last gacha, Pokémon Duel, did so badly that the story was left half finished… Which is a shame, considering the story was actually quite good. And it eventually got banned in the Netherlands thanks to all the gacha issues... So I wonder what will happen with this…

• Administrator
On 5/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, onewiththewheels said:

So a business strategy meeting involving major Pokémon news has just aired. A couple of takeaways:

-One way transfer from all games to Sword and Shield has been confirmed. This includes Pokémon currently in Pokémon Bank, Pokémon go, and the Let's Go games. Transfer is done through something called Pokémon Home, which will release in early 2020. Hopefully they have the sense not to release it around Christmas this time…

-An app called Pokémon Sleep will be released for mobile devices. This tracks the user’s time sleeping to enhance gameplay experiences. At this point, it's unknown exactly how, and if it will affect Pokémon Sword and Shield. Pokémon Go Plus + will also be released to connect with Pokémon Go and Pokémon Sleep.

-Pokémon Detective Pikachu is getting a sequel on the Switch. This will apparently lead to the story's conclusion, and it will be different than the film that was released earlier this year. It's unknown if this will tie into Sword and Shield at all.

-Pokémon Masters is announced as being in development, and is a mobile game. It is the first feature characters from the main series, and several of them battle. This is the same game that was talked about earlier this year. It's unknown if it will have any effect on the main games at all

So what are your thoughts?

I find the idea of Pokémon Sleep hilarious and interesting, and I'm wondering how exactly it will work. I'm particularly interested because I happen to be a restless sleeper, so I'm wondering how it would calculate that.

Pokémon home seems to be the successor to Pokémon bank, and I'm really hoping there's the ability to add more boxes this time. For anyone who's doing a Living Pokedex, or simply has a lot of Pokémon to store, those boxes add up quickly. I'm also hoping they add a better way to keep track of subscriptions, because without an external calendar of some sort, it is to forget and lose everything (thankfully, I am the type that keeps external calendars, but I know quite a few unfortunate players who didn't and lost a lot). Failing that, there should be some sort of auto renewal. I wonder what will happen to Pokémon Bank, though, and if it will eventually be shut down…

-Even though the concept of Pokémon Masters sounds interesting, I'm a bit wary of it. I'm not sure how it will get past antigambling laws considering track records with mobile gaming. Furthermore, Pokémon's other mobile games, while being solid games, have not traditionally done well. From what I've heard, the game looks like it will be a gacha. The last gacha, Pokémon Duel, did so badly that the story was left half finished… Which is a shame, considering the story was actually quite good. And it eventually got banned in the Netherlands thanks to all the gacha issues... So I wonder what will happen with this…

Hmm, that does sound interesting though I don't have Online so I assume I'll miss out on all these features without a subscription. I really wish we could play ultra sun/moon on the switch...

Here's everything we know thus far... The more I read, the more interesting it sounds. Going back to traditional Pokemon which is good.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/pokmon-sword-and-shield-starters-legendaries-release-date/

@onewiththewheels @Sakura Alexia @Nirianne @Aiko Isari @Hikari @Lightningblade49

Been following the news closely, so I can’t wait for June 5. I’m  wondering if something tops Mimikyu  as my favorite Pokémon, but considering it took a long time to top the favorite Pokémon before that (Porygon line),  I am not sure. 

I also wonder with all this branching out of the Pokémon company  will do something  like a massive multiplayer online game, or similar.  It would definitely be interesting, although open world doesn’t really work that well for Pokémon (at least in the fan projects that have tried it).  Therefore, they would have to really  do something different to make it work. It would be a cool side game, but a large one. 

So the new direct is here,  complete with a the new trailer:

In addition, this site has som more information that might not be initially gleaned from the trailer:

https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/

I personally am quite pleased, but what are your thoughts? 

• Administrator

It looks pretty interesting to be honest.

I really like the designs of the legendaries, especially Sword so that's the edition I'll be getting.

The new large pokemon thing seems a bit odd, but I'll wait until I see more of it to judge.

The world looks fantastic. I also like the look of the champion, Leon, but I feel sorry for his younger brother (and your rival). His name is Hop. What the heck? Poor guy. I'm hoping for some angsty story for the younger one. Kinda like the parents raised the older one to be this regal dude, and the younger brother got neglected. But I can't see that happening in Pokemon. 

My starter is gonna be Sobble. I love the look of Corviknight too. 

In my mind, Hop’s name will always be Hope. It's what I first misread his name as, and hope is an actual name (although not as common for males). So he's always going to be that my headcanon, and I will probably call him that in the main games too.

A lot of people are speculating Leon is the villain. I'm on that speculation train as well, considering them revealing his title as Champion and his fame, along with her looking rather smug, seems like a bunch of red flags. I'm interested to see what they do with him, since that would make him the first evil Champion of the entire series (technically, Lance was evil in Special, but reformed by the time he could become the Champion) and only the second person associated with the Elite Four be evil in the games (the first being Malva). I kind of want Hop (e) to be evil too, to make up for the massive missed potential with Gladion and Lille and the possibility of them being evil. However, I doubt that will happen.

Interesting that the professor’s clearly an old lady here, and that she has a granddaughter helping her out. I wonder if she will be like Agatha and Pyrce, clearly enjoying battle despite their old ages, or more laid-back like Oak and Bertha. Speaking of which, maybe we will meet Agatha as a cameo, or at least learn what happened to her… She's really the only Kanto Elite Four member unaccounted for… As far as other cameos, I'd like Karen or Will. Generation two doesn't really get much representation at all…

As simple as it is, Dynamax looks really cool. It reminds me of the episode in the anime where everyone was stranded on island of giant Pokémon. Even though there were only machines, those Pokémon were terrifying, and the episode when it clear that was intentional. The fact that the giant Pokémon battle in special arenas makes it even more intense. Also nice to see co-op returning for those that want it, and that's still accessible in single player for those that can't find others to play with. I'm interested to see how it works out.

I like the capture system is a fusion of Let's Go and main game Pokémon mechanics. Both of them had their strengths and weaknesses, so it's nice to see them being brought together to hopefully get rid of the issues each had. The only negative thing I can see from that is messing up challenges that require randomization (such as Nuzlockes). I could also see randomization being determined by other things, like dice rolls though.

So the Pokémon series not only finally got good canine Pokémon, but they're also a duo mascot legendary Pokémon. It's something Pokémon really needed, and as a dog lover, this makes me happy to no end. Although the one with the sword makes me unable to stop thinking about Repede from Tales of Vesperia. I might end up naming it that. I'm also interested to see with the third member of the trio is, since in some mythologies, there's a trio of wolves.

Also nice to see a blend of open world and regular mechanics. I was afraid they would go completely open world at the expense of story events and characterization. Luckily, that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe this is a stepping stone for something like the Mass Multiplayer Online Game that I was thinking of earlier.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.