Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Sport and Games
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

• Board Moderator

Sup.

So, I doubt anyone will look at this since there's like a total of 3 Americans on this forum, and I'm pretty sure only one of them (me) actually likes football, but just in case anyone actually cared I figured I'd at least have the topic down just to discuss NFL stuff.

I guess other American Football stuff can belong here too but I mostly mean professional football, as in the National Football League. I guess college stuff is fine too but I really don't care about the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League or anything. That being said this sentence is unnecessary because I don't really think anyone but me will post in this topic.

So expect this topic to have some stuff from August - January, and literally at no other times during the year. Heh heh...

I guess I could do Draft stuff but like, boring, so I probably won't anyways. So yeah, NFL topic.

• Board Moderator

It was Bam Bam's birthday yesterday so to honor one of my favorite safeties playing today I figured I'd post something about him.

Then I realized I could have a video do it for me, so I decided to just find one. 

I found one. Here it is.

I'm a football fan.  When I was a kid, I was a HUGE 49ers fan.  Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, and later, Jerry Rice.

One of my favorite moments...Best Goal Line stand....ever...

Now, though, I'm a Lions fan....being in Michigan for the past 29 years, the Lions have rubbed off on me.

• Board Moderator
7 hours ago, belmakori said:

I'm a football fan.  When I was a kid, I was a HUGE 49ers fan.  Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, and later, Jerry Rice.

Oh that's a classic. I love the 80s 49ers. I'm not a fan of the 9ers or anything but I can appreciate past legends and stuff. I still consider Montana the best quarterback of all time. 4 Super Bowls is amazing and all, but that's not how I really view greatness.

The numbers really don't show it but my god Montana's mastery of offense was just something you had to see. Watching him play, yeah, Montana will always be the greatest in my opinion.

Huge fan of John Taylor too, really hope he makes Hall of Fame someday. He's been nominated several times but from what I know never made it to finalist.

7 hours ago, belmakori said:

Now, though, I'm a Lions fan....being in Michigan for the past 29 years, the Lions have rubbed off on me.

That's a shame. I mean their best two players ever got depressed and quite basically in their primes. Besides the 49ers are gonna be scary next year, while the Lions are going to have to deal with Aaron Rodgers coming back and a scary Vikings team too.

I do like Matthew Stafford though.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, Ace of Spies said:

Oh that's a classic. I love the 80s 49ers. I'm not a fan of the 9ers or anything but I can appreciate past legends and stuff. I still consider Montana the best quarterback of all time. 4 Super Bowls is amazing and all, but that's not how I really view greatness.

I have to agree, Montana is the best.  I consider him one of the greatest, though I also like Brett Favre.  I thought he was pretty amazing when he was with Green Bay.  Loved to watch him play.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, Ace of Spies said:

That's a shame. I mean their best two players ever got depressed and quite basically in their primes. Besides the 49ers are gonna be scary next year, while the Lions are going to have to deal with Aaron Rodgers coming back and a scary Vikings team too.

I do like Matthew Stafford though.

Yeah...Barry Sanders....loved to watch him run.  I think the Lions depended upon him way too much....way too much.  They should have had a well rounded offense, instead of just the "super" running back.

As for Aaron Rodgers, he's good, yes, but he missed the end of last season due to an injury (broken leg?)  I'm not sure if he'll be in tip-top shape...I guess we'll see.

• Board Moderator
31 minutes ago, belmakori said:

I have to agree, Montana is the best.  I consider him one of the greatest, though I also like Brett Favre.  I thought he was pretty amazing when he was with Green Bay.  Loved to watch him play.

Favre was special, that's for sure haha

31 minutes ago, belmakori said:

Yeah...Barry Sanders....loved to watch him run.  I think the Lions depended upon him way too much....way too much.  They should have had a well rounded offense, instead of just the "super" running back.

As for Aaron Rodgers, he's good, yes, but he missed the end of last season due to an injury (broken leg?)  I'm not sure if he'll be in tip-top shape...I guess we'll see.

Megatron was fun to watch too.

Yeah Rodgers will have to bounce back.

I actually don't mind football, growing up in a household that liked it a lot...

I can't believe the Packers got rid of Jordy Nelson... I mean he's been there forever, but still... And I wonder what will happen now, because last season proved that without Aaron Rodgers, the team is almost nothing... They seriously need to do something about that, because players can get injured at any time...

I remember I think the funniest memories was my mom being a diehard Brett Favre fan, despite all the controversy that went down. When he got traded the Vikings, she made us watch both the Vikings and the Packers... And since the Vikings and the Packers are persistent rivals, a lot of people were confused or otherwise disliked the decision... I think my mom was actually rooting for the Vikings at the end of that season... I doubt she ever will again... Come to think of it, most of the football mania comes from my mom... I'm not sure what sports I like too much, but I'm hoping to find out eventually...

• Board Moderator

Jordy signed with the Raiders he'll still have a future I think.

Favre did have a magical run with the Vikings in 2009, I don't know how you end up routing for two different division rivals though. XD

Just now, Ace of Spies said:

Jordy signed with the Raiders he'll still have a future I think.

Favre did have a magical run with the Vikings in 2009, I don't know how you end up routing for two different division rivals though. XD

Well, at least he's still playing…

As for the two division rivals, my mom was actually mad at the Packers because they did not Brett Farve come back, so she watched them only because she was a Packer fan still… Then, the Packers didn't do too well that season, so she kept rooting for Favre and the Vikings…

I remembered I didn't really care either way, but I love the seeing peoples’ overblown reactions (I think I made quite a few enemies that year)…

And while she likes Rogers, she thinks he can't compare to Farve… Rogers is getting old, too, so I wonder who will step up next…

• Board Moderator

I thing Aaron Rodgers has around five more years in him if he can stay healthy. The do think Aaron Rodgers does play more intelligently and is more skilled than Brett Favre, believe it or not. I think if he had a full career his numbers would've ended up beating Favre's by a pretty significant margin. Rodgers does get hurt though, and Favre always played no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Ace of Spies said:

I thing Aaron Rodgers has around five more years in him if he can stay healthy. The do think Aaron Rodgers does play more intelligently and is more skilled than Brett Favre, believe it or not. I think if he had a full career his numbers would've ended up beating Favre's by a pretty significant margin. Rodgers does get hurt though, and Favre always played no matter what.

Oh wow, that many years left… He must be younger than I thought… But I'm sure his replacement is still on everyone's minds... I wonder if the Packers have any good backup quarterbacks this time, because the last one was abysmal…

• Board Moderator
1 minute ago, onewiththewheels said:

Oh wow, that many years left… He must be younger than I thought… But I'm sure his replacement is still on everyone's minds... I wonder if the Packers have any good backup quarterbacks this time, because the last one was abysmal…

Agreed. :o

The Packers defense is always pretty pathetic too if they're expecting to beat the Vikings they have to start doing better.

1 minute ago, Ace of Spies said:

Agreed. :o

The Packers defense is always pretty pathetic too if they're expecting to beat the Vikings they have to start doing better.

Yeah, when they had that horrible backup quarterback, one of my extended family members started calling them the Pukers… The name stuck for the rest of the season, and I think that was one of the few seasons were my mom absolutely refused to watch some of the games… I remember my siblings were shocked, with someone saying it was blasphemous if there wasn't a Packer game playing on the TV during the season…

• Board Moderator
5 minutes ago, onewiththewheels said:

Yeah, when they had that horrible backup quarterback, one of my extended family members started calling them the Pukers… The name stuck for the rest of the season, and I think that was one of the few seasons were my mom absolutely refused to watch some of the games… I remember my siblings were shocked, with someone saying it was blasphemous if there wasn't a Packer game playing on the TV during the season…

It was hard to watch my team last season, if that helps at all.

Wow it was rough. I remember that one of three extremely likely things needed to happen for us to make it, and NONE of them did. Embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Ace of Spies said:

It was hard to watch my team last season, if that helps at all.

Wow it was rough. I remember that one of three extremely likely things needed to happen for us to make it, and NONE of them did. Embarrassing. 

As a Lions fan, I know all to well the feeling.  The Lions are notorious for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Board Moderator
1 minute ago, belmakori said:

As a Lions fan, I know all to well the feeling.  The Lions are notorious for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Stafford has a few good comebacks. 

That he does...but one man cannot define a team.  That's the problem with the Lions, they put too much onto one player, when it takes a team to win championships.

I heard this morning that they've announced their pre-season games.  Surprisingly, they won't be facing off against the Buffalo Bills this year.  First time in a long, long time.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:54 PM, Ace of Spies said:

The Lions would be better if Megatron was still around. Honestly, I think that would be the strongest division?

Yes, they would.  I don't think Aaron Rogers will be as tough, and the Packers didn't strike me as being that strong last year.  The Bears have been off the past few years, leaving the Viking the only team standing in the way.  I'm hoping for a better season this year, especially with Matt Patricia as the new coach.  I'm excited to see what he can do.

I was surprised when Megatron "retired".  But those things happen.  He was beat up quite a bit; the body can only take so much punishment.  At least he's going to return to school and finish his degree.

• Board Moderator

Yeah but I understand Megatron's reasoning. He basically said that due to his body he couldn't play like he used to, he could still play, but he couldn't give it his best anymore, and he doesn't want to play if he isn't able to perform at his all. It's disappointing but I can respect it.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been over 20 years....and the girl hasn't come forward and if what I read correctly, the charges were dropped due to lack of evidence.  So, I'm going with a victim of circumstance.  I think someone just wanted to tarnish is reputation.  Sucks really.  Why can't folks leave things alone?

• 1 month later...
  • Board Moderator

Thought's on this years hall of fame class?

WR Randy Moss

G Jerry Kramer (finally!)

LB Robert Brazile

S Brian Dawkins

LB Ray Lewis

LB Brian Urlacher

WR Terrell Owens

Contributor Bobby Beathard

• 3 months later...
  • Board Moderator

@belmakori @onewiththewheels 

You been paying attention to football season now that it started?

Week 1 Aaron Rodgers proved he’s the most clutch quarterback ever, and so far it’s been a surprising but very interesting season all around.

Drew Brees broke Brett Favre’s and Peyton Manning’s all time passing yards record, and he’s not done yet.

My team is sitting at 4-2 and some are saying they’re gonna make a playoff run, despite the 2 embarrassing losses.

How are your teams doing?