Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Books and Literature
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

What are you reading now?

19 minutes ago, Dove Disturbia said:

Yeah, I have. One of his best. Have you?

Yep, had to for English. I thought it was alright. I never got the opportunity to finish though.

2 hours ago, Indigo Jupiter said:

"New Moon" by Stephanie Meyers. Don't judge me! 

... I'm not even gonna say anything for once ^_^

Anyways... *still shuders at thinking of the unspeakable books :)* I'm reading Twil- I mean, I'm currently reading The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger, by Stephen king... see what you make me write @Indigo Jupiter? :D

1 minute ago, TJMike said:

... I'm not even gonna say anything for once ^_^

Anyways... *still shuders at thinking of the unspeakable books :)* I'm reading Twil- I mean, I'm currently reading The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger, by Stephen king... see what you make me write @Indigo Jupiter? :D

I am now curious what you were going to say XD 

Ah....i see what you did there :3......

I came up with two conclusions regarding this; 
Either you are in reality reading 'Twilight' 
or 
It's easy to mistaken the name of Stephen with Stephanie XD. That's why you mistyped.  

1 minute ago, Indigo Jupiter said:

I am now curious what you were going to say XD 

Ah....i see what you did there :3......

I came up with two conclusions regarding this; 
Either you are in reality reading 'Twilight' 
or 
It's easy to mistaken the name of Stephen with Stephanie XD. That's why you mistyped.  

LOOL, nah I'm actually reading Dark Tower... The Stephen/Stephanie coincidence was way too funny to not make use of it ^_^

Starting to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer’s Stone for those in the US) so I could practice…

It's been interesting so far, since I can understand most of it, but I still need a dictionary near me…

On 2016-11-27 at 8:12 AM, Pokeevee57 said:

I've only read the very beginning of it. Good luck!

I am reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I like the movie, and the book is quite interesting so far...

It's so great! I read the books before I watched the movie and in my opinion the books are superior. But that's just my opinion. :) The movie was still great.

On 11/14/2016 at 11:05 PM, Pokeevee57 said:

Oh, and I'm reading a book by Scott Fitzgerald, called The Risen Empire.

I know I quoted my own post, but for good reason; I mixed up the names. It's Scott Westerfeld. Sorry, though he is the author of The Uglies and The Pretties. Pretty popular books at one time or another...

Textbooks, currently ... but over Thanksgiving break I marathoned Song of Achilles (Madeline Miller) in one day. It was a fairly good take on the Iliad, perhaps too much focus on sexual attraction, but then, I'm asexual and that tends to stick out a lot to me when it comes up. Still not sure if it's just done poorly or if I'm uninterested in it. *shrug.* It was nice to see the epic from a normal person's perspective, though. Patrolucus was just a human thrust into the politics of demigods and gods that weren't content not to meddle in human affairs, and he got to see how the siege on Troy changed his best friend and lover. 

There were certainly parts of the book that could've been better done, but it was entertaining for a quick read.

Well, haven't finished reading Miss Peregrine's, but I was assigned a book called A Separate Peace, which is by John Knowles. Pretty interesting, even if it is an older book. Made over 20 to 40 years ago. Smells like an old book...

It takes place during World War II, about two boys' lives during it. Well, so far at least...

A Separate Peace ... It was on my reading list at one point, and I can't say it particularly appealed to me. It could have been half the size and told a tighter, more compact story. To me it dragged on and on, which exhausted the flow of the storyline. 

2 minutes ago, SeleneHime said:

A Separate Peace ... It was on my reading list at one point, and I can't say it particularly appealed to me. It could have been half the size and told a tighter, more compact story. To me it dragged on and on, which exhausted the flow of the storyline. 

I agree, it does really drag on a bit. But it's alright compared to some other books I've read.

That surprising, I never felt that dragged on, but I felt some of the plot was pointless (mainly what happened to Phineas and him not accepting his injury, and the fact that it was never revealed if his friends really did cause the accident that crippled him)…

As for what I'm reading now, I just finished Valkyrie by Kate O’ Hearn (didn't like it too much, unfortunately)…

My next shot will probably be either retrying A Song of Ice and Fire, finishing up and getting the rest of the Shannrah series (which has about 25 books), checking out the works by Robin McKinley, trying out some more of David Eddings (e.g. the Belregard), and trying out Wings of Fire.