Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Books and Literature
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

What are you reading now?

'Fifty Shades of Grey' - E .L James.

I don't understand what the buzz is all about. The plot is loosely woven, I'd call it worthless. It all basks in its erotic glory, nothing else.

I was expecting something better than just that in every page. 

I'm reading loads and loads of books. I guess I am quite the bookworm. Anyways, I'm reading;

The Wise Man's Fear by Pat Rothfuss. This fantasy series is probably the BEST I have ever read. I am saying, in my opinion, better than Harry Potter. I finished the first book a few months ago and have been reading the second part ever since.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. A great, fun and really interesting book with a weird sence of dumb humor that hasn't failed to entertain me through countless hours of car-travelling.

And finally,

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. This book, I got it two days ago, is amazing. Even though it's a bit old, it came out 1862, I find it refreshing and the philosophical views given by this book is great. It's basically about the scapegoats of society, kind of. READ IT!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to read a book is very difficult to read. The sentences don't flow and only a few words in I forget what I'm reading and only get the basic idea of what it's about. I'm on around page five maybe and I'm not sure what's going on. All I know is that the main dude wanted to avoid some people coming down the rode, went/hid in a mill for some strange reason, found a dead guy that was doing some kind of black magic ritual, and is now going to wear the dead guy's clothes.

I'm going to try reading another book because this one is so hard to read.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get through Robert Jordan's "The Eye of the World", the first book the Wheel of Time series, for a long time now.  I enjoy it, but find it hard to sit down and get to actually reading it...

Also a book on speed reading, because that seems like a useful skill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up Paper Towns by John Green again a couple days ago. I tried reading it when I got it but I started on The Hunger Games and Divergent instead (yeesh, twelve-year-old me, why). I've also been reading The Mortal Instrument series lately, too, and I'm currently on the second book, City of Ashes. The books are horrible but it's where Magnus comes from, so y'know.

I've also been reading a lot of poetry lately, usually during my breaks between classes; Poindexter, Tennyson, Fitzgerald, Poe, and Bukowski seem to be my current favourites.

Napoleon the Great by Andrew Roberts.  A biography on Napoleon Bonaparte.  And A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel.  Trying to read as much fiction and non fiction around the French Revolution partly of general interest in the period and partly to make sure my Unity fics are as accurate as I can make them. 

Moving on to Shadows of Self, by Brandon Sanderson.  A new-ish fantasy-western(?) novel from my favorite author.  Somehow haven't gotten to it until now...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/15/2016 at 1:46 AM, Dove Disturbia said:

'Veronica decides to die.' - Paul Ceolho. 

If you're looking for something cheerful to read, better not get this. It's bit too philosophical if you ask  me, but then again different people , different choices. 

...I know I saw this late. But I'm wondering...

@Dove Disturbia, have you ever read The Alchemist by the same author?