Drawing in new members ×
Design Your Universe
  • Health
  • Search

Welcome to Design Your Universe

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?
Ask question
Ask questions and get answers from our community
Ask question
Our experts are ready to answer your questions

How do you deal with Depression?

Indigo Jupiter

Depression is an inevitable part of our life. One simply can't avoid it. We either confront it like an officer or simply blend in it like a wave washing over us. Tell us yours, are you the first or second type? And how do you cope with it?

I shall begin. I belong from the second type. When i am depressed, i sleep like a lot. It's bad enough i sleep in, but while working i feel fatigue slipping in. I sleep during intervals. And even after that, i am still tired. Nevertheless it's the only way in which i find ease.

I find with diagnosed clinical depression the only thing to get you back on an even keel are antidepressants.  I've been on a low dose since I had PND after Cal was born. It's not a personal failing to need them. I forget the statistic but something like 80% of people will suffer from a mental illness at some point in their lives. 

After the drugs, I'd say diet, exercise and time to relax are very very important. Whatever you enjoy doing, make time for it. 

I'm more of the first type. I've a steady drill - Why's this happening?--->What went wrong?---->How can I change that?---->And there goes the solution.

This helps a lot. Then again, as simple as it sounds, to practice it in real life is not simple at all. When so many things are going awry and I'm all lost, it takes a supreme effort to concrete, manipulate my own mind and turn the tables but once its done, no amount of negativity can touch me. 

Also to steady myself a bit, I usually draw something, build a model or simply do a recording of a speech or a piece of voice acting or whatever stuff I'm pretty decent at, it makes me feel good about myself, kinda restores the self confidence. 

Thank you so much @Indigo Jupiter for posting this thread, this will really, and I mean really help me in dealing with depression. So thank you so much, Allah bless you. Alright, Masroor,here we go:

Okay, I am not familiar with the terms, first depression, or second depression. Whenever I am depressed, honestly and brutally, I pray, recite Durood, read a Naat, sing a song, dance (yes, you just read that, though I can hardly can it a dance, more like random movement), hug my mother or sister, even talk to myself. Basically, I try to distract myself from the depression, and if all else fails, simple, I cry. That is always the last resort, and that always helps. 

Sometimes when I am depressed, I just think.... about committing suicide... but at the same moment I refuse myself because my mama has told me, "Never think of it because it's not less heinous than murdering someone. "

I talk with my mama about my depression. And she comforts me, helps me. she's my best friend ^_^ 

On 10/25/2016 at 9:22 AM, Jacob Frye said:

I find with diagnosed clinical depression the only thing to get you back on an even keel are antidepressants.  I've been on a low dose since I had PND after Cal was born. It's not a personal failing to need them. I forget the statistic but something like 80% of people will suffer from a mental illness at some point in their lives. 

After the drugs, I'd say diet, exercise and time to relax are very very important. Whatever you enjoy doing, make time for it. 

It’s okay to take clinical drugs, as long they are taken with caution. I mean my mum also take Lexotanil pills.

Not exactly exercise, but yes I do take walks in roofs. Fresh air really soothes one’s nerve.

On 10/25/2016 at 9:42 AM, Dove Disturbia said:

I'm more of the first type. I've a steady drill - Why's this happening?--->What went wrong?---->How can I change that?---->And there goes the solution.

This helps a lot. Then again, as simple as it sounds, to practice it in real life is not simple at all. When so many things are going awry and I'm all lost, it takes a supreme effort to concrete, manipulate my own mind and turn the tables but once its done, no amount of negativity can touch me. 

Also to steady myself a bit, I usually draw something, build a model or simply do a recording of a speech or a piece of voice acting or whatever stuff I'm pretty decent at, it makes me feel good about myself, kinda restores the self confidence. 

You remind me a lot of my elder sister ^^ 

That's a pretty neat trick Dove. Indulging in activities is sure a good way to deal with depression. I do that too, but it happens once in a no moon because i am so lazy:3 

On 10/25/2016 at 9:49 AM, EricLightscythe said:

I mostly end up in this loop of self-criticism, sulking and moping until it builds up to a breaking point where I get off my self-pitying arse and DO something to fix it.

Wish i was more like you *_* 

I just sulk and mope. 

22 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

I whinge and whine for about an hour or so then sleep it off. Things tend to go back to normal after.

Yay! high five Aquila sama! like i said before i too sleep as well. I don't whine, mostly because it takes me a while to realize 'Am i going to depression?' 

But you are right, after napping, things do get back to normal ^^ 

8 hours ago, MasKaiHilFantic said:

Thank you so much @Indigo Jupiter for posting this thread, this will really, and I mean really help me in dealing with depression. So thank you so much, Allah bless you. Alright, Masroor,here we go:

Okay, I am not familiar with the terms, first depression, or second depression. Whenever I am depressed, honestly and brutally, I pray, recite Durood, read a Naat, sing a song, dance (yes, you just read that, though I can hardly can it a dance, more like random movement), hug my mother or sister, even talk to myself. Basically, I try to distract myself from the depression, and if all else fails, simple, I cry. That is always the last resort, and that always helps. 

Thank you : ) 

Even i am not XD 

You are right, i do too find solace by praying in night. The quietness and that time really works wonder! And talking to yourself really helps alot! 

6 hours ago, Blue rose said:

Sometimes when I am depressed, I just think.... about committing suicide... but at the same moment I refuse myself because my mama has told me, "Never think of it because it's not less heinous than murdering someone. "

I talk with my mama about my depression. And she comforts me, helps me. she's my best friend ^_^ 

*Le me gasp! Misty :o

Don't ever think like that! it's very harmful to have such thoughts. 

Bless your mother! Though on a side note, talking with mum really helps ease sadness considerably.  

17 minutes ago, Indigo Jupiter said:

Thank you : ) 

Even i am not XD 

You are right, i do too find solace by praying in night. The quietness and that time really works wonder! And talking to yourself really helps alot! 

No worries ^^

You're not? Then from where did you hear them from?

Of course, Namaz Momin ki Miraj hai (mafhoom e Hadees). Oh yea

Yea, Namaz and talking to yourself is the best :) 

2 hours ago, Indigo Jupiter said:

Wish i was more like you *_* 

I just sulk and mope. 

Well, to be fair, it sometimes takes a friend or two to point out how crappy the situation has become. I take a break from whatever I'm doing, put on some music and start cleaning my room while room-inating (ba dm tss)(sorry, couldn't resist, I'll show myself out now). I come up with ways to unfuck myself, and try to do it. 

2 hours ago, EricLightscythe said:

Well, to be fair, it sometimes takes a friend or two to point out how crappy the situation has become. I take a break from whatever I'm doing, put on some music and start cleaning my room while room-inating (ba dm tss)(sorry, couldn't resist, I'll show myself out now). I come up with ways to unfuck myself, and try to do it. 

You are right, listening good music helps a lot too. Doing simple tasks like washing dishes does perish the blues. 

No you aren't showing XD. 

Well when I get depressed usually its for something that I didn't manage to do correctly or when it comes to my personal conditions or my parent's.

In the first case most of the time its a drawing that didn't turn out the way I would have liked to, my first instinct is to get angry at myself for not being able to make it and then sulk putting myself down by thinking that I'll never be a good artist, usually when this happens I tend to stop for a while and in the meantime I play games a lot, until I eventually get tired of it and my brain finally says to get my ass to work once again, it pretty much fixes itself with a bit of time. This also happens with writing but less as I like it but its not my number one passion.

While in the second case when it comes to my own health, as you know I have a physical disability that was discovered quite recently, I keep ending up in a cicle of "why did it happen to me?" or "why I can't be normal and do what other people do?" and so on, but it the end it all solves with an "it could be worse", positive thinking in short. When it came to my parent's though the thing was much worse, I was sad and utterly terrified to lose either of them, what I did was cry it out then completely throwing myself into things I liked to do, such as drawing, or writing too like I did the first time it happened, until things eventually got better and my parents were fine again.

In the end my trick is to do what you enjoy and a bit of positive thinking, nothing more nothing less.

On 10/26/2016 at 4:14 PM, Blue rose said:

Misty, I love you and care about you a lot. I am truly utterly sorry for saying this but Sadika, are you mad?!  

Good for your mother, Misty. Love, do not ever think about suicide ever again, because it is not depressing, it is plain stupid. Your mother has a point there.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:56 PM, Indigo Jupiter said:

*Le me gasp! Misty :o

Don't ever think like that! it's very harmful to have such thoughts. 

Bless your mother! Though on a side note, talking with mum really helps ease sadness considerably.  

My point exactly, Indigo. Which brings me to my alternative last resort, talk to someone. Talk to someone about how you feel, let it all out,I usually talk to my mother, or sister, or even Indigo. These three always help me a lot to deal with the stress and depression I suffer from, I can count on them anytime for giving me a solution, or just simply distracting me from the pain. These three are the best ^_^ 

Well, what can I say? I don't deal with depression... Depression deals with me! :D

Seriously though, I've been dealing with my fair share of problems and bad situations (I think all of us to be honest), but my mom taught me one thing about problems; they are there to being solved, and make us stronger. Yeah, talking your problems with another person and antidepresives are a big help, but in all honestly, it's entirely up to you and your will to get your issues at bay.

I guess you could say my trick is to focus on solving the root of my depression, instead on dwelling with the "if onlys" and the "whys?"

Unfortunately I've had to deal with the arse hat known as depression a few times.

By deal I mean lock myself away from the world for about 3-5 days, afterwards I normally feel like me again, but during the depression I will spend all day sleeping, mopping, cursing at my stupid idiot self and I'll only eat one meal a day. Fortunately it is very mild considering most others cases, but yeah not a nice thing to go through, in my mind though you have to fight through it yourself, relying on another won't cure/fix your own problems.

14 minutes ago, Stubborn Saber said:

Unfortunately I've had to deal with the arse hat known as depression a few times.

By deal I mean lock myself away from the world for about 3-5 days, afterwards I normally feel like me again, but during the depression I will spend all day sleeping, mopping, cursing at my stupid idiot self and I'll only eat one meal a day. Fortunately it is very mild considering most others cases, but yeah not a nice thing to go through, in my mind though you have to fight through it yourself, relying on another won't cure/fix your own problems.

Sounds like my episodes. Much love from me. I know what it's like when it hits you physically and makes you unable to eat, get out of bed or do anything properly. I embraced it, downloaded all of the song of ice and fire books and stayed in bed till the ADs kicked in and I could face the world again.

7 hours ago, Jacob Frye said:

Sounds like my episodes. Much love from me. I know what it's like when it hits you physically and makes you unable to eat, get out of bed or do anything properly. I embraced it, downloaded all of the song of ice and fire books and stayed in bed till the ADs kicked in and I could face the world again.

Right back at ya, with the love thing. It's a rare occurrence with me so it's not too bad, like illnesses though I tend to stubbornly refuse medication and ADs for it because I don't want to become reliant on he stuff.

Hopefully it doesn't kick in to any of us anytime soon, and if anyone is battling it now make sure to beat it outta ya system, then continue to win, win and win some more.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

I'm one of those people that really punishes myself if I make a mistake.

I'm a loser. I'm a phony. I'll never succeed at anything. I'm an embarrassment etc etc.

It's embarrassing. I hate it. I wish I could make that inner voice stop. But I can't. It always wins in the end and I'm left staring up a ceiling wishing brain transplants were a thing so I could have a different mind. I literally have a mini argument in my head.

So how do you stop beating yourself up over small things? How do you learn to accept mistakes and move on from them? How do you stop yourself from drowning in a sea of despair? How do you stop hating yourself over failures/mistakes?